Author Topic: Tuesday 27 December 10-letter OUTRAGEOUS puzzle  (Read 132 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Tuesday 27 December 10-letter OUTRAGEOUS puzzle
« on: December 29, 2022, 11:15:49 AM »
TRUGO – a game similar to croquet https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/trugo Alan, as this is a game peculiar to Victoria it may not be admissible but it is in the dictionary…  :-P :-P :-P
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tuesday 27 December 10-letter OUTRAGEOUS puzzle
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 03:48:51 PM »
Unlike many of the words I agree to add to Chihuahua, trugo is a word I know. Nevertheless, it's a bit of a surprise that it's in an international dictionary like the Collins, since its usage is very local. What's more, it's also in the Oxford Dictionary of English, these days the flagship one-volume dictionary from OUP.

It's a sport that originated in the 1920s in the railway workshops here in Melbourne. It involves using a mallet to knock a ring between goal posts.

(Wikimedia image. See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:GrandFinal22.jpg for Creative Commons licensing attributes.)

It's currently played by about half a dozen clubs in some of the traditional blue collar suburbs of Melbourne. It's reportedly played mainly by pensioners. You can read about it in Wikipedia or in this story on the ABC website. Apparently it has also been featured on the BBC and in one of Anthony Bourdain's programs.

Paradoxically the sport probably gets media coverage from time to time precisely because it's played by so few people, yet has kept going for a hundred years.

Its name has been written as true-go, or tru-go, reflecting its origin as the cry that went up when a goal was scored. It's also sometimes written with a capital T. However it seems to be written as trugo more often than not these days, so it's eligible to be a Chi word. I will add it as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: Tuesday 27 December 10-letter OUTRAGEOUS puzzle
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 04:11:11 PM »
Thanks Alan...

When we first came to Australia, we settled in Newport West and our tramp down to Williamstown beach in summer took us past the Railway Workshops on Champion Rd - perhaps that's where I came to know of it...  ??? ??? ???
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)