Author Topic: Tuesday 13 December Challenge MORTGAGED puzzle  (Read 204 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Tuesday 13 December Challenge MORTGAGED puzzle
« on: December 14, 2022, 05:16:47 PM »
MAGGOTED – extremely drunk… Perhaps an Australianism, Alan, so may be disqualified… I couldn’t find a dictionary reference but there were plenty of examples using Google
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tuesday 13 December Challenge MORTGAGED puzzle
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 11:17:35 AM »
I'll have a look at it in due course, but if we added every Australian word for drunk we'd probably double the size of the word list.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 12:16:01 PM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :-P :-P :-P :-R :-R :-R
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 04:07:27 PM »
Actually maggoted is listed in Wiktionary. It's given three meanings: affected by maggots; (figuratively) rotten; and (Australian slang) drunk, intoxicated. With the drunk meaning, it's also in the Macquarie Dictionary.

The word had some prominence a couple of years ago when an Australian senator who had to be helped from the chamber by her colleagues was alleged to be intoxicated. Some of her fellow-senators described her as "trolleyed", "off her head" and "maggoted". Subsequent discussion focused as much on the word maggoted as on the senator's alleged behaviour.

The word has been used over recent years in Australian publications, and perhaps even more so in unrecorded speech. The oldest example I found was from the Age in a 2007 piece about a Chapel Street bar:

You are there to meet (or meat) friendly people, have a good time and get completely maggoted.

I'll add it as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 07:00:54 PM »
Thanks Alan...  >:D >:D >:D