Author Topic: Humour Moment 28th October Challenge Puzzle  (Read 110 times)

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
Humour Moment 28th October Challenge Puzzle
« on: October 30, 2022, 02:32:12 AM »
While obviously not in the word list, the 28 October 2022 Challenge Puzzle provided me with a moment of merriment. :)

Before starting the puzzle, I had been watching video clips featuring the Hawker Hunter jet fighter, in order to track down the name given to the characteristic howling note made by the aircraft during high speed passes - I've since learned that the term for this sound is "The Blue Note".

However, one of the video clips mentioned in the commentary, that later versions of the Hunter featured nose blisters for catching spent bullet casings, to avoid said casings being ingested into the engine air intakes, and that, with the ribald humour for which the military is noted, these blisters were labelled "Sabrinas", after a well-endowed 1950s actress.

Cue a little smile crossing my face when the letters in the puzzle allowed "Sabrina" to be formed therefrom. :)

This is mentioned in the Wikipedia article on the Hunter here, and those who are interested, can learn more about Sabrina here ... :)
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...