Author Topic: MILCH in 10/1 Standard  (Read 226 times)

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
MILCH in 10/1 Standard
« on: October 02, 2022, 12:12:30 PM »
from the LUNCHTIME puzzle we get MILCH as a common word.  When you click on it all the meaning are preceded with [dated] or [archaic].  While playing I even thought of trying it but discarded the idea as an accidental Germanism.  So anyway I think it should not be listed as common.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: MILCH in 10/1 Standard
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 12:38:55 PM »
I'd have to agree on this as it is not in common usage...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 02:55:10 PM »
We had milch not very long ago, so I remembered to play it. But it probably isn't common.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 12:01:06 PM »
It seems that milch was used more often in the 19th and early 20th centuries than since then. These days the word is used mainly in India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, with its literal sense of describing an animal used to provide milk. In other places, when the word is used, it's often in the context of a milch cow being a metaphorical term for a source of easy money. E.g. from Scottish paper The National in 2017:

Since the days of Franco, Madrid has used the Catalan economy as a milch cow to fund the rest of Spain

The word isn't used often enough and widely enough to warrant remaining as common.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites