Author Topic: Sunday 18 September 7-by-many PICKIEST/SKEPTIC puzzle  (Read 211 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Sunday 18 September 7-by-many PICKIEST/SKEPTIC puzzle
« on: September 19, 2022, 02:17:48 PM »
SPECCIEST – TBH not the definition I thought of; superlative form of wearing spectacles https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/specciest FYI I was thinking along the lines of “the most spectacular” as in “That was the specciest shot of the day!”  :P :P :P
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunday 18 September 7-by-many PICKIEST/SKEPTIC puzzle
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 03:25:05 PM »
It's surprising that the Collins opted to list the superlative of speccy in the sense of "wearing spectacles", because it wouldn't be often that someone would want to express such a concept. However, I found at least one example, in the book A Shed Of One's Own: Midlife Without the Crisis (2012), by Marcus Berkmann:

One curious generational shift is that it's now the weediest, specciest boys who seem to acquire the largest, most spectacular tattoos. Maybe, in the absence of genuine physical challenge, this is the only way the weedy and speccy have of showing how hard they are (or aren't).

Wiktionary also gives the meaning of speccy you had in mind RTT, but only as a noun: "(Australian rules football, informal) Synonym of spectacular mark".

It seems this Aussie "spectacular" sense - football-related or otherwise - is more commonly written with a k: specky, speckier, speckiest. (Of course these also relate to the meaning "covered in specks".) However, examples with the double-c spelling can be found. For example, from the website www.exploreoz.com:

This is one of the specciest bits of coast your correspondent has ever seen.

We already recognize the words speccky, speckier, speckiest and speccy. I'll add speccier and specciest, as rare words.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 03:38:45 PM by Alan W »
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 03:59:22 PM »
Thanks Alan,

We already recognize the words speccky, speckier, speckiest and speccy.

I've got to say I was surprised by speccky...  :-P :-P :-P
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 05:09:32 PM »
When I typed it there was only one c. Must be a fly speck.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 07:09:19 PM »
lol  ;D ;D ;D