Author Topic: Sunday 18 September Standard SLUMBERED puzzle  (Read 177 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Sunday 18 September Standard SLUMBERED puzzle
« on: September 19, 2022, 12:24:54 PM »
MULESED – I can see why mules would be disallowed but this is the past participle of mules which is removal of excess loose skin from either side of the crutch of a sheep to reduce the incidence of blowfly strike https://www.collinsdictionary.com/conjugation/english/mules
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunday 18 September Standard SLUMBERED puzzle
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 02:04:56 PM »
Mulesed is recognized by a few dictionaries, including the Shorter Oxford, Wiktionary and the Macquarie.

The Mules operation is named for J H W Mules, the South Australian who devised the procedure. From that we get mulesing as a noun, mules as a verb and mulesed as an adjective. These words, and presumably the operation, are mainly used in Australia. Use of the word in other countries is usually in connection with efforts by animal welfare groups to promote boycotts of Australian wool, alleging that mulesing causes unnecessary pain to the sheep.

Mulesed and mulesing certainly qualify to be admitted as rare words. The third person present tense, logically, is the awkward muleses, and so some dictionaries specify. I couldn't actually spot any instances in live usage, but for consistency I'll add that also as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: Sunday 18 September Standard SLUMBERED puzzle
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 03:15:19 PM »
Thanks Alan...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)