Author Topic: Consider for inclusion: Aphantasia  (Read 433 times)

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
Consider for inclusion: Aphantasia
« on: August 30, 2022, 02:06:02 AM »
Aphantasia

Pat’s remark about not being able to unsee a mental image reminded me of this condition — which is a blank, or black mental movie screen.  The absence of a mind’s eye.

How rare is it?  As a word, it rates the Red Squiggle. As a matter of insight into….the diversity of perception, it’s intriguing.

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Consider for inclusion: Aphantasia
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 10:24:20 AM »
I didn't  realise that a "mind's eye" was a real thing until quite recently. High school age grandchild asked me if I could see "pictures". My husband does see vivid pictures in his mind's eye and I don't. Married 48 years and we didn't know that about each other....or about aphantasia. This has led to some interesting family/extended family discussions. It seems few people (of our age, at least) have even heard of it.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 10:45:45 AM »
100 percent ditto!!!

Husband & I discover this about 20 years ago but had no name for it. It’s completely fascinating. I’m sure you, like my husband are very accomplished: he plays chess , early & n
Modern wind instruments
, practiced law, written computer programs. Etc. you get the picture
, so to speak. Also he can type w precision.

All this mystifies & awes me. I see it as a handicap & a gift. He is very present-oriented & focused.

A fair number of videos on YouTube re aphantasia if you haven’t already found them. Extremely clarifying.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 12:13:18 PM »
Well, how interesting! I had never heard of this. I came across blindsight a few years ago, too - which blew my mind! That’s when people who are unable to see something (consciously - because of cortex damage) are still able to perceive it unconsciously.
(Apologies for the poor explanation - no scientist!)
So much to learn about perception, the brain and the conscious/subconscious mind. Fascinating, thank you.

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 01:10:05 PM »
Did a cursory check on blindsight.

O boy! It gets curiouser and curiouser. And scary to ponder how we can be manipulated by not knowing what we see.

Of course there’s an upside for some of the sightless.

On a scale of spookiness rated between 1 & 5, this warrants a 3.9. At least.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 09:29:06 AM »
It IS spooky! and mindblowing 🤯
I wish I knew enough science to understand neuroscience better. Does anyone have a recommendation for books that won’t completely befuddle a non-scientist?

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 10:29:05 AM »
I haven’t read it yet but The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat might be a start 

There’s got to be stuff that’s comprehensible to us non-sciency folk

(a millennial ago, l passed a course in Physics w flying colors. It’s title was Physics for Poets. Great teacher!  Knew how to get us whipped up)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 12:06:40 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for books that won’t completely befuddle a non-scientist?
I've found stuff from Malcolm Gladwell to be accessible...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 07:22:52 AM »
Thanks - I’ve read that particular Oliver Sacks book but there are more to browse, and I’ll see what Malcolm Gladwell has to offer! Appreciate the tips!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 03:07:22 PM »
I'd never heard of aphantasia before, but it's listed in Merriam-Webster and Wiktionary. It seems the word was coined only in 2015, but since then there have been a few books published on the subject, such as Aphantasia: Experiences, Perceptions, and Insights, by Alan Kendle, an engineer who didn't know why he had trouble reading fiction until he heard about aphantasia from a BBC radio programme.

I'll add it as a rare word, and also the adjective aphantasic, noted by Merriam-Webster.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites