Author Topic: All is well ?  (Read 22989 times)

alliswell

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: All is well ?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2007, 12:41:59 AM »
Just busy and tired.....no cruising for me right now.  I seem to have acquired insomnia - no fun.  Awake all night and sleepy all day.  I'm hoping it leaves me as quickly as it appeared. 

Thanks for saying hello - I'm usually around, just too tired to focus on any words. 

I hope you are all doing well. 

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2007, 12:49:11 AM »
It's very nice to hear from you Alliswell....even if it was short and sweet.

I am glad to hear you are ok..i think we are all tired at the moment, at least that seems to be a common theme. And not sleeping at night is a real bugbear....you get into an awful routine that is hard to shake.

Sometimes staying up for the duration and depriving yourself for 24 - 36 hours works. I used to do that after months of night shifts. My sleeping pattern was not existant. So when i had a week off i would be up all night and sleepy all day. The sleep deprivation trick worked well and got me back into a normal sleeping pattern. Then i would return to work and start all over again....!!!
Take care till the next time..
:angel:

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2007, 12:16:55 PM »
Yes, alliswell!! Sorry to hear about your sleeping dysfunction -- as a fellow raving insomniac, I too suffer the malady.

You've probably tried everything I'm going to suggest, but if not, maybe one of these tips might be useful.

I find that whenever possible, lowering the lights, turning down ambient sounds, and blithering myself into a stupor with a mindless but non-exerting activity helps. A small dose of soothing liquid or a comfort food may also do the trick, if consumed in a relaxed position like a couch or easy chair, rather than totally upright at the dining table. Remove all constricting garb as well.

Anything that can help lower sensory stimuli and heart rate also works, if you try to empty your mind, ease your anxieties and keep the body as relaxed as possible. Other times, it's also a matter of disciplining yourself to try to get to bed at the same time regularly.

Mostly, though, when completely done in, I just collapse in front of the TV screen and pass out for the night!

Tania

• Logologist
  • Auckland, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2007, 12:29:38 PM »
My advice only differs slightly from 3b's,  lower the lights, turn on soft music, remove clothing, soothing liquid would be a lovely massage oil, (partner needed for the next bit) relaxing massage (preferably with extras!!!) & you will be sleeping like a baby.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2007, 12:44:48 PM »
Your tip sure sounds a lot more enjoyable, to be sure, Tania! I'll go with that, too!

alliswell

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2007, 10:54:36 PM »
Tania - great idea!  One of my rules is that if I'm not sleeping, you're not sleeping. - which means I'm waking my husband constantly.  Makes him crazy!  Hard to lose all garb - kids occasionally come and go throughout the night - which also makes the massage a little difficult to get to.  How do we get all those thoughts out......it seems my mind just doesn't want to stop at night.  Last night I used vodka and red wine - that helped more than anything else has lately. 

Anyway....thanks for all the tips - I appreciate it.  From the reading I've done, I'm learning that this whole lack of sleep thing is part of the "aging" process.  You can imagine how happy that makes me. 

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2007, 11:04:51 PM »
Oh, yes, dear!! The older you get, the less you sleep ... the less you sleep, the older you feel (and look)!

I guess it's just nature's way of keeping you awake so that you can accomplish as much as you can in the little time you have left!! You'll get enough rest when you die! Cruel joke, eh, so you might as well enjoy everything while you're still able!  >:D

PS -- if you're still young enough to have young 'uns creeping about, YOU'RE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING OLD!!! (unless the grandkids have moved in)

alliswell

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2007, 09:13:15 AM »
No grandkids yet - my kids are 11 and 12. 

My sister, who is 11 years older than me - is constantly telling me I'll sleep when I'm dead.  Made me laugh when I read your similar thoughts. 

What about you 3B - any children or grands?

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2007, 10:22:50 AM »
You are SO much younger than I, my child -- a veritable baby yet!!

My kids stopped being 11 and 12 about 14 and 31 years ago, m'dear (they were 7 years apart). My grandkids are 7 and 1-1/2. Although, I will say, I'm a youthful grandmother -- if not in years, then at least in spirit!!

I might add that the joys of being a grandparent are even greater than those of a parent -- you welcome the grandbabies in, feed them full of candy and sweets, get them good and bouncing, and then send them home for their parents to sort out!!! It's called revenge upon your children for all the grief they give you! However, I must say in their defense, that my own were exceptional children: the smartest, most well-behaved and the best-looking (naturally!).  :angel:

alliswell

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007, 03:40:03 AM »
If our children's paths should ever cross they will immediately recognize one another - for mine are are also the smartest, most well behaved and best looking!  They must be the rare form of siblings from another mother!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 04:32:06 AM »
Kind of like those "separated at birth" phenomena, yeah?

And of course, we do all know HOW the children became as wonderful as they did, too!!!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2007, 10:34:56 PM »
Hi, there, alliswell!!

So, what's on your plate today? Looks like everyone's trying to squeeze in a lot of stuff this weekend with weddings, birthdays, out-of-town trips or trying to deal with weather!

I'll be off in a bit, but I saw you there so wanted to say hello! Any kiddie activities going on keeping you busy?   ;)

alliswell

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2007, 08:45:31 AM »
Hey - sorry I missed you this morning.  I truly don't have as much time as I'd like in here.  I'm having a hard time remembering who's who, who's where, etc...but I'm trying.  

Today is a good day - took 2 of my 3 dogs in for check ups, oldest son to football practice (first game of the season is tomorrow!), spent day cleaning dog fur and football clothes - my typical weekend.

Last night my family attended the Broadway production of The Lion King which is touring locally.  What an amazing show that was.  Tonight is movie night, we'll be watching "The Negotiater" with Kevin Spacey.  I just love him!  He's on my "short list" (anyone else have one of those - a list of people my spouse and I agree is OK if the opportunity arises?) ...so - anyway...  I wish I had more chat time in here.  3B I appreciate your efffort to keep me yapping.  I often think about posting (the lady w/6 kids and Pokeman cards made me LOL) but I rarely do.  I'm sure in time I'll jump in more.  

I always wish the best for all forumites.  What an interesting community this is.  I'm glad to be a part of it.

Have wonderful weekends, decent weather and everlasting memories!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2007, 08:54:11 AM »
Our taste in actors does converge, at least with Kevin Spacey -- he is really great! Some of my fave movies, beside American Beauty, were LA Confidential, The Usual Suspects, Glengarry Glen Ross, and one that wasn't very big, but a great story called Swimming with Sharks. 

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2007, 09:21:16 AM »
He's one of my favourites, too. I think I've enjoyed every movie he's made....did you see "The Shipping News"?  Since reading about your exploits, Threeb, I've been wondering if your journalistic experiences are anything like the ones in the film!