Author Topic: Sticky rubber  (Read 517 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Sticky rubber
« on: July 09, 2022, 08:50:56 PM »
I have a Roland Edirol (a recording device) which is encased in what I assume is rubber, presumably to give it better protection than a plastic case would. It hasn't been used for three years  but when I got it out today, intending to use it to record our concert tonight, the whole case was horribly sticky to the touch. I assume the rubber (if that's what it is) has degraded in some way. Wiping it down just seems to make it worse. Does anyone know what would have caused this, and what I can do to remove the stickiness?

Wibbly Bits

• Logologist
  • Perth, Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky rubber
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 10:34:38 AM »
I’ve seen this happen with the soles of a pair of work boots that had been in storage for a few years. We didn’t even try to fix them. A quick web search shows some people have had success with methylated spirits. I haven’t had any experience with that, so unless someone else here has, and was happy with the results, I would only try it if you can live with losing the device. If the cover is removable, I would discard it, and try to get a replacement.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 05:14:31 PM »
Thanks, WB. The device still works perfectly OK, revolting though it is to touch,  so I don't think I'll risk it.

Wibbly Bits

• Logologist
  • Perth, Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 06:14:47 PM »
My pleasure. Maybe some cheap cotton gloves while you are using it?

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 07:09:11 PM »
Your in depth guide to degradation of rubber over time ... which might tell you what sort of rubber coating your gadget has, and why it's become nasty to touch ...
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 09:12:29 PM »
Thanks for the link, C, although it's far too technical for me. I do wonder why manufacturers use such a product when it's known to degrade over time.

Matilda

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 12:19:12 PM »
If removing the stickiness is not an option what about powder coating it (talc or chalk or similar) to adhere to the sticky residue? I'd try it on a small patch first.
Just keep swimming, swimming...or cycling, walking, dancing and singing!