Author Topic: SCHMALTZY Puzzle  (Read 358 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
SCHMALTZY Puzzle
« on: July 08, 2022, 09:09:53 PM »
I so enjoyed the SCHMALTZY puzzle - lots of unusual letters mixed together and only one vowel. Still I missed the rosette - didn’t get SCHMALZ - but noted that SCHMALZY wasn’t common - well you live and you learn.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: SCHMALTZY Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 09:39:19 AM »
I missed the same word.  I did look for variant spellings of schmaltz/y and got shmaltz and shmaltzy (both rare) but didn't think of schmalz. 

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
Re: SCHMALTZY Puzzle
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 04:18:56 AM »
Memories of schmaltz, both culinary and descriptive, tend to propel me into fits of laughter. I have  beaucoup de  schmaltz stories.

For example:  the matriarch suffered occasional lapses into decorative schmaltzyness. These include a faux Versailles white chair planted adjacent to the RCA mahogany enclosed TV set. Therefore, no one could miss seeing it. Each arm rest sported gold balls dangling an inch apart. Tiny gold fleurs  de lis lent an air of je ne sais quoi. Only cousin Larry dared to sit on it. Once 

Grandma, I’m told hardened hearts with the dish of grebenes (rendered chicken fat with clusters of burnt onion). Mom, the failed Interior Decorator, reported that it was delicious. Grandma lived to age 88. mom survived into her 94 th year. Perhaps
, it’s not chickensoup alone that’s good for the soul.

Words, certain words, open floodgates

: