Author Topic: 7-by-many Monday 4th July  (Read 505 times)

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
7-by-many Monday 4th July
« on: July 06, 2022, 11:34:39 AM »
Usually, if I don’t know a common word, I think it’s down to my ignorance. But surely BARBEQUE is misspelt? My spellchecker has underlined it, and the definition says ‘sometimes, proscribed.’ I don’t even care if it’s commonly misspelt - it’s still wrong! Can it be made rare?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: 7-by-many Monday 4th July
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 01:43:49 PM »
This article would appear to back up your request, Madeleine

But whichever way you spell it throw a prawn on it, not a shrimp. >:D
Regards, Jack

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 02:16:59 AM »
Hahaaa - well, backed up by Grammarly, surely I can hope??

Thanks, meight!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 05:11:41 PM »
I've looked into this a couple of times, and couldn't make up my mind. I think that probably means I should leave things as they are.

The article Ozzyjack links to is simply wrong when it says:

"Barbeque", in general, can be considered a misspelling. It doesn't exist in official publications and there is not specified anywhere that it is accepted as another form for "barbecue".

Many reputable dictionaries give it as a less common variant. As for "official publications", the website of the National Parks Service in the US uses both variants many times. But probably the writer meant some official guide to spelling - not realising that there is no such thing. Actually, where are they from, the writer(s) of this piece? Some place where people say "there is not specified anywhere that it is accepted".

It's certainly true that the Q version is used less often, but it is used quite a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people who haven't noticed that it can be written with a C. Anyhow my new motto is, when in doubt, leave things alone. So I'm leaving barbeque as a common word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 07:58:59 PM »
Good call
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 07:48:44 AM »
😕 I look at it, and I still see ‘bar-beck.’

matt

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 05:13:54 AM »
I hadn't thought about the "official" (dictionary, I guess) spelling of this word before. It's not like I'm writing about this subject often, and only then informally and more likely to be lazy and write BBQ.

If pushed, before seeing this thread, I'd have said they were completely interchangeable, but probably that "barbeque" was more common, just from what I've seen around me. But that'd have been a subliminal gut-feeling rather than actual sampling.

Coincidently (as far as this thread goes, but perhaps part of the the subliminal influence) when I just went to get a drink I noticed that there is an unused pot of dip left over from McDonald's on the kitchen table. See attached.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 08:26:10 AM »
I’m not saying it’s not a common misspelling, and I can see how it came to be (probably from BBQ), but it doesn’t make it right…

-que at the end of a word isn’t pronounced cue (or q, even 🤪)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 08:59:15 AM by Maudland »

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 12:47:59 PM »
Coincidently (as far as this thread goes, but perhaps part of the the subliminal influence) when I just went to get a drink I noticed that there is an unused pot of dip left over from McDonald's on the kitchen table. See attached.

Interesting list of ingredients.