Author Topic: Polar question  (Read 273 times)

Wibbly Bits

• Neophyte
  • Perth, Western Australia
    • View Profile
Polar question
« on: July 02, 2022, 06:43:19 PM »
Yesterdayís 7 by many puzzle had Ďarcticí as common, and Ďantarcticí as rare. In the words of the famous Prof Julius Sumner-Miller, ďwhy is it so?Ē

Wibbly Bits

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Polar question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 07:40:03 PM »
I hope itís ok to reply to my own post. I think I have worked out the answer. The Arctic is a region, like the tropics for example, so arctic can be an adjective that describes the general area. Antarctica is a continent, so the adjective for that should be spelled with a capital, like Australian for example. Letís see if thatís the ticket.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 02:29:09 PM »
Sounds reasonable. Iím no expert but I donít want you to think no one is reading your post!
I drink to make other people more interesting.

ridethetalk

• Glossologian
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 04:08:40 PM »
Antarctica is the continent - not sure why arctic and antarctic would be treated differently though the red squiggly line appears as I type this (right-clicking it gives the suggestion of a capital 'A' so your thoughts may well be justified Wibbly)

Typing arctic into google brings up LOTS of hits and, without exception (at least on the first page of hits), it seems to also be spelt with a capital 'A' - you may have opened a hornet's nest which may result in the expulsion of arctic from the chi dictionary...  :o :o :o
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 and John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Wibbly Bits

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 05:23:14 PM »
Thanks guys, you are too kind. I actually donít mind how many read my posts, as long as at least one reply answers my question.

BTW, I am used to using emoticons in my text messages, but when I have tried to use one here, my iPad, or IOS or something tries to convert it into text. I guess there is a setting somewhere to fix this.

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 05:55:44 PM »
I've seen arctic used as an adjective in a generic sense to describe somewhere or something that's very cold.  Maybe this is why it can be spelt without a capital A.  I've never seen antarctic used in the same way, however.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 09:02:50 PM »
I thought it was odd and put it down to a northern hemisphere bias against us. Terra australis incognito stuff.

ridethetalk

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 09:12:52 PM »
I've seen arctic used as an adjective in a generic sense to describe somewhere or something that's very cold.  Maybe this is why it can be spelt without a capital A.  I've never seen antarctic used in the same way, however.

I may be wrong, but I think I can recall the ABC (Aust) weather presenter once saying that we could
expect an antarctic blast of cold air in the coming days
My recollection may be wrong but I wouldn't expect him to say arctic in the Australian context...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 and John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 10:04:48 PM »
Maybe the weather reporter meant it literally (i.e. a blast of cold air coming up from Antarctica).

ridethetalk

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 11:12:40 PM »
I expect so but, as per your example, he used it as an adjective in that sense...

Calilasseia

• Paronomaniac
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2022, 10:20:16 AM »
This one puzzles me. Surely arctic and antarctic are equally well known to anyone who has looked at a map of the world, or a globe?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 11:44:27 AM by Calilasseia »
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...