Author Topic: Thursday 23 June 7-by-many FORESAW/FORESWEAR/FORSWEAR puzzle  (Read 164 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
FARSEE/R – see at or from a distance, foretell / one who foretells, a soothsayer (farseeing is in both the Collins and Merriam-Webster)
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thursday 23 June 7-by-many FORESAW/FORESWEAR/FORSWEAR puzzle
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 03:56:51 PM »
Yes, farseeing is in a few dictionaries, but then it's already accepted in Chihuahua. The dictionaries identify farseeing as an adjective, not a verb, so this doesn't necessarily imply the existence of a verb farsee.

Farsee and farseer are in Wiktionary. Farseer is in Dictionary.com as a run-on entry from farseeing.

The usage of these words seems to be almost entirely related to fantasy and science fiction, especially the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. Perhaps the earliest example is in an 1887 translation of the Odyssey by William Morris, referring to "Zeus the Farseer".

I did dig up one non-fantastic use of farseer, in a 1957 book called America Needs an Ideology:

The future belongs to the farseers. Henry Ford and Thomas Edison were both farseers - and both friends of Frank Buchman.

I'll add farseer as a rare word, but I'm not convinced farsee has really made it into the language. Wiktionary gives the origin of farseer as far + seer.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: Thursday 23 June 7-by-many FORESAW/FORESWEAR/FORSWEAR puzzle
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 04:09:04 PM »
Fair call... BTW. I have read the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb as well as others in that series...  ;D ;D ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)