Author Topic: Wednesday 15 June 10-letter FICKLENESS puzzle  (Read 187 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Wednesday 15 June 10-letter FICKLENESS puzzle
« on: June 16, 2022, 10:32:23 PM »
FLECKINESS – the quality or state of being flecked or speckled. Potential seed word. https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/fleckiness
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wednesday 15 June 10-letter FICKLENESS puzzle
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 02:55:16 PM »
This word is also in the OED, but I'm not sure if it's in any other dictionaries. In fact some dictionaries don't include flecky. We do accept flecky. The OED has a single citation, from 1833, about the surface of a sword blade. The word was used by Herman Melville in his novel Mardi, also talking about a blade:

And though tempered not in Tagus or Guadalquiver, it yet revealed upon its surface that wavy grain and watery fleckiness peculiar to tried blades of Spain.

I suppose there have been some more recent uses of the word, but I didn't spot any. I'll allow it as a rare word.

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: Wednesday 15 June 10-letter FICKLENESS puzzle
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 03:00:15 PM »
Thanks Alan...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)