Author Topic: Wednesday 25 May 7-by-many SICKLIEST/SLICKEST puzzle  (Read 263 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Wednesday 25 May 7-by-many SICKLIEST/SLICKEST puzzle
« on: May 27, 2022, 02:36:16 PM »
SKILLSET – the set of skills a person has or is needed to do a job (a google lookup suggests that this is two words but I asked around the house and everyone said it was one!)

STICKLESS – I threw the stick for Rover to retrieve but he came back stickless (probably not a serious suggestion  :-R :-R :-R)

LISSE – a fine, filmy, lightly crinkled gauze fabric used in strips for making ruching or for finishing garments (Collins)
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wednesday 25 May 7-by-many SICKLIEST/SLICKEST puzzle
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 04:16:05 PM »
Skillset as a single word is in Wiktionary. I didn't see it in any other dictionary. A few of them have the two-word form. However the single-word form seems to have been growing in use quite rapidly over the past dozen years, according to the News on the Web corpus.

Here's a very recent example, from the UK paper the Evening Standard, in an article published yesterday about smart fridges:

And the smart abilities have evolved too, mostly shifting away from the ‘for the sake of it’ internet-fridge trickery of the opening volley of the 21st century and settling instead into a more refined skillset of ‘things that people actually need’.

So it seems it's not just people who have skillsets these days - domestic appliances have them too.

I'll add skillset as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 04:22:14 PM »
Strangely enough stickless is in the Merriam-Webster dictionary and Wiktionary. The word seems to come up occasionally in connection with ice hockey, and sometimes in describing fast foods. No doubt there are other applications.

I'll add it as a rare word.
Alan Walker

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 04:31:09 PM »
I'll add lisse as a rare word.
Alan Walker

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 05:35:00 PM »
Thanks, thanks and thanks, Alan - stickless did surprise me!  :o :o :o  (fast foods???)
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 02:14:39 PM »
(fast foods???)

Have a look at the "hot dogs" offered by Chunky Town.
Alan Walker