Author Topic: Thursday 31 March 7-by-many FUSTIAN‽ puzzle  (Read 827 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thursday 31 March 7-by-many FUSTIAN‽ puzzle
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2022, 10:35:58 PM »
Antifa is sometimes written with an initial capital letter, but often not. A very recent example, from a Washington Post article dated 13 June, about Republican congresswoman Nancy Mace:

A month after her 2020 victory, someone keyed her car, she says, and in another incident, someone spray-painted “F--- You Nancy” and the antifa symbol, among other things, outside her house.

(From other news articles it seems the symbol painted outside her house was the letter A in a circle - actually an anarchist symbol - accompanied by the slogan "All politicians are bastards".)

Merriam-Webster lists antifa in the all lower case form with the note "or less commonly Antifa". Wiktionary lists both variants.

I'll add antifa as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2022, 11:02:11 PM »
Thanks, Alan...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2022, 02:34:31 PM »
Insinuant: I take it this was an April Fools prank on your part, RTT?

It is in a few dictionaries, but it's definitely obsolete, and even in its heyday must have been quite rare, since I was unable to find a single example of its use in anything that anyone today is likely to have read. I decline this suggestion.
Alan Walker

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2022, 02:47:21 PM »
Prank  ??? Moi  ???

I know not what you speak of...  ;) ;) ;)
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2022, 03:55:27 PM »
Funis is in a few dictionaries. Funisitis only in Wiktionary that I could see.

The words are used very occasionally in medical publications. A 2016 citation in the OED: "They should check in order to detect a few emergency situations, such as funis coiled around the neck." And from a 2020 article in Pediatrics: "Funisitis is inflammation involving the umbilical cord usually from the fetal vessels."

OED says the plural of funis is funes.

I'll add funis, funes and funitis as rare words.
Alan Walker

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2022, 05:00:56 PM »
Thanks Alan...  ;D ;D ;D (Extra thanks for funes, of course...)