Author Topic: Word suggestion: leavings  (Read 227 times)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Word suggestion: leavings
« on: May 15, 2022, 10:19:04 AM »
Not accepted in the recent ENSLAVING puzzle.  It's not a plural, and not a verb form, so should be allowable.  (A similar word to earnings, which is allowed as a common word.)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: Word suggestion: leavings
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 01:57:18 PM »
IMHO I've got to agree with this...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 02:58:10 PM »
I have to admit I looked up leavings to see what it meant. I’ve never heard of it. Easily googled with the meaning given as residue, leftovers etc.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 12:40:05 PM »
In this case I'll set aside my unwillingness to take action on any word classed as a plural.

Leavings is a plural noun without a corresponding singular word, leaving. We don't say, "I'm throwing my leavings into the rubbish except for this leaving which can go into the compost bin." As you point out, Morbius, the argument is the same as for earnings, which was accepted back in 2010.

A number of apparently similar -ings words have been raised in the past, but in line with my current approach of dealing with each suggestion as quickly as possible, I'll leave those aside for now rather than holding things up while I compile a list of all the words warranting similar consideration.

Leavings will be acceptable in future as a common word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites