Author Topic: Sunday 20 March 7-by-many EMISSARY puzzle  (Read 350 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Sunday 20 March 7-by-many EMISSARY puzzle
« on: March 21, 2022, 03:41:12 PM »
MAMMARIES – WTA??? I was so convinced I tried it again thinking I must have spelt it incorrectly… How else would you spell the plural of MAMMARY???

SEMIRARE – somewhat rare e.g. nickel is a semirare metal whose price has skyrocketed since Russia went to war with Ukraine. (often hyphenated)

AIRMASS/ES – a measure of the amount of air along the line of sight when observing a star or other celestial source from below Earth's atmosphere; also used extensively in meteorological circles to identify and characterize different bodies of air in the atmosphere…

REARRAY – to array again; (self explanatory)
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday 20 March 7-by-many EMISSARY puzzle
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 07:42:04 PM »
I too tried mammaries a second time thinking I must have mistyped it. There's no reason why it shouldn't be accepted, but possibly as a rare word since mammary is essentially an adjective and only used informally as a noun.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 05:12:37 AM »
AIRMASS/ES – a measure of the amount of air along the line of sight when observing a star or other celestial source from below Earth's atmosphere; also used extensively in meteorological circles to identify and characterize different bodies of air in the atmosphere…

This weather geek has never seen air mass spelt as a single word.

https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=air%20mass

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 03:01:54 PM »
Many dictionaries have mammary as an adjective only. The online Oxford and Wiktionary list it also as a noun with plural mammaries. The OED has it as a noun with two senses: as an anatomical term for a mammary artery or vein, and "In plural. colloquial and humorous. A woman's breasts; (also, rare) those of a man." The anatomical meaning dates back to 1697, but the earliest citation for the colloquial usage is from John Steinbeck in 1947:

A visitor of another species might judge from the preoccupation of artist and audience that the seat of procreation lay in the mammaries.

I'll add mammaries as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 03:17:46 PM »
Semirare is very rare! People normally write semi-rare. From what I can see only one dictionary, Wiktionary, acknowledges the spelling without a hyphen, But I don't feel it's used often enough to warrant being in our list.
Alan Walker

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 04:03:32 PM »
Air mass is usually written as two words, and most dictionaries list it that way only. Wiktionary allows the single-word variant. There do seem to be quite a few publications using the single-word form, as in a Denver Post weather report in May:

Then, a near record cold airmass will arrive Friday bringing a chance of snow.

I'll add airmass and airmasses as rare words.
Alan Walker

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 04:23:22 PM »
I suppose I must accept rearray, since it's in Merriam-Webster as well as Wiktionary. It seems to be used in some scientific writings in connection with molecular arrangements. In other contexts it seems to be used in sentences that have no discernable meaning. For example, in a book called Civilization and Progress:

The continual rearray of the course of progress is also a rearray of the line of battle.

And in Education and the Nature of Man

The teacher's aim is to rearray the body of experience in such a way that it will be usable to the learner and constructive in its total quality.

Anyhow, I'll add rearray, rearraying and rearrayed as rare words.
Alan Walker

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 06:46:36 PM »
Thanks for all of those adjudications, Alan - your careful and patient responses know no bounds...  ;D ;D ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)