Author Topic: Tuesday 1 March 7-by-many MUSKIER puzzle  (Read 547 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Tuesday 1 March 7-by-many MUSKIER puzzle
« on: March 02, 2022, 03:20:08 PM »
RESUS – short for resuscitation; most hospitals have at least one resus cubicle in their ED…

SUSURRUS – may I suggest that this be changed to common, please? It just makes a lovely sound…

MESSIEURS – may I suggest this be changed to rare – there may be an argument to be made for having MONSIEUR as a common word but I don’t believe the plural form fits the definition. I am willing to be convinced otherwise but there would need to be a good reason…
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tuesday 1 March 7-by-many MUSKIER puzzle
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 02:00:28 PM »
Regarding messieurs, there's already a suggestion that monsieur be made rare, from TRex last year. I'll deal with both these requests shortly.

Although messieurs has always been classed as common, I don't think it's actually appeared in a daily puzzle before, though it has been in a few player-created 7-by-many puzzles under the Your Puzzles tab.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 03:59:13 PM »
Thanks Alan - that should make it less messier...  :-R :-R :-R
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 10:12:24 PM »
Both monsieur and messieurs will be treated as rare from now on.
Alan Walker

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 12:10:41 AM »
Nice one Alain...  :-R :-R :-R

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 03:50:41 PM »
Resus is in the online Collins Dictionary and Wiktionary. It might be spoken more often than written, but it does occasionally appear in print, sometimes with a capital R, sometimes not. An example from the Liverpool Echo last month:

Detecting what she believed to be a heart murmur she checked the baby's oxygen levels before immediately rushing him to resus.

The word seems to be used much less often in North America than elsewhere. Perhaps there is another term used there.

Resus will be acepted as a rare word.
Alan Walker

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 03:53:13 PM »
SUSURRUS – may I suggest that this be changed to common, please? It just makes a lovely sound…

Yes.

You may suggest it. But I won't agree.
Alan Walker

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 04:38:56 PM »
Baby, we can talk all night, but that ain't getting us nowhere...

Two out of three ain't bad...  ;D ;D ;D

...and isn't it a shame that onomatopoeia will never be a word found in these puzzles...  :cry: :cry: :cry:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 04:45:21 PM by ridethetalk »