Author Topic: Saturday 29 January 7-by-many WHEELHOUSE puzzle  (Read 266 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Saturday 29 January 7-by-many WHEELHOUSE puzzle
« on: January 29, 2022, 03:30:47 PM »
SHOLE – a protective plank under a vessel

HOOSE – a house in Scotland – from Wikipedia: “A hoose (or houss) is a biggin that fowk bide in. It is kent as thair hame an aw. Fowk that dinnae huv a hoose are kent as hameless fowk.” Which made me laugh…; also “verminous bronchitis of cattle, sheep, and goats caused by larval strongylid roundworms irritating the bronchial tubes and producing a dry hacking cough” which I was unaware of but which may just get this over the line...  ;D ;D ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Saturday 29 January 7-by-many WHEELHOUSE puzzle
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 02:51:41 PM »
Shole is in a few dictionaries. I suspect it's an obsolete term, because I couldn't readily find any recent (post-1900) usage examples. But if it's good enough for Merriam-Webster et al, who am I to dissent?

I'll add it as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 02:59:06 PM »
Thanks Alan...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 03:12:28 PM »
I didn't see hoose in any English language dictionary, other than Wiktionary, as a Scottish term for a house. If you check out "Scots Language" in Wikipedia, you'll see that it is regarded as a distinct language from English. Some of its words have made it into English, but evidently hoose is not one of them, as far as most lexicographers are concerned. If I accepted it on the strength of your quote, I'd have no reason not to accept "houss", "biggin", "fowk", etc, etc.

Wiktionary does have an entry for hoose as a word used in Northumbria and Scotland for house, with three Geordie word lists as references. Is that enough to qualify it?

The animal disease definition you quote seems to be from the Merriam-Webster Medical dictionary, not the general dictionary. This sense of the word is in the OED.

Ultimately I have to accept that it is a word, though so rare it's blue. I'll add it as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 04:14:47 PM »
My Scottish heritage is probably where I'd taken it from - I remember running round our home with my brothers exclaiming "there's a moose loose in the hoose!!!"  :-P :-P :-P

Thanks again, Alan...  ;D ;D ;D