Author Topic: Saturday 22 January 7-by-many PLUSHER puzzle  (Read 428 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Saturday 22 January 7-by-many PLUSHER puzzle
« on: January 25, 2022, 10:10:37 AM »
PREPPER – an end-of-days conspiracy theorist kind of person who stores stores for those end-of-times times… (I think I've requested this before)

SUPERUSER – a special user account used for system administration
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday 22 January 7-by-many PLUSHER puzzle
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 09:55:45 AM »
John, for once I'm in agreement with both the words you suggest. I know, and have used, and tried, both, but I do wonder whether Prepper wouldn't be capitalised when it pertains to a specific group of people.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 10:48:56 PM »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 05:10:40 PM »
Prepper was requested a few times, and eventually accepted.

Superuser is in a few dictionaries, mostly defined along the lines you outline, RTT. The Cambridge Dictionary gives a different meaning:

someone who knows a lot about a computer program and can help other people to use it

Most of the usage examples I found were of the system administration sense, but I spotted a couple with yet a third meaning: simply, someone who uses something a lot. Thus The Atlantic in February this year had an article, "Facebook Has a Superuser-Supremacy Problem". The article says of these "superusers":

They are part of an elite, previously unreported class of users that produce more likes, shares, reactions, comments, and posts than 99 percent of Facebook users in America.

They’re superusers. And because Facebook’s algorithm rewards engagement, these superusers have enormous influence over which posts are seen first in other users’ feeds, and which are never seen at all. Even more shocking is just how nasty most of these hyper-influential users are. The most abusive people on Facebook, it turns out, are given the most power to shape what Facebook is.

(Why am I not surprised?) Also, CNET in April had an article headed "Washington State Program Wants Gasoline Superusers to Go Electric", with the subheading:

These superusers represent just 10% of drivers, but use over 30% of the total fuel. Can they be persuaded to switch to EVs?

Anyhow, the word is definitely out there. I'll add it as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 05:59:33 PM »
Thanks Alan...

...and, in the words of Maxwell Smart, it's a pity they can't use their power for goodness and niceness instead of nastiness and evil...  :P :P :P