Author Topic: Threebee  (Read 226554 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: Threebee
« Reply #915 on: December 21, 2008, 10:11:18 AM »
That's an open and shut casement then Threeb?!?!

Clearly a better situation to be in....

No longer a pane in the neck.....
...so no need to glass on the fitters, who you could frame big time....

[sorry!!]  :-R

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: December 21, 2008, 11:23:45 AM »
After being out all day from 7:15 to 4:30, most of it outdoors in temperatures in the 20s (F) and wind chills in the single digits, I got home to find my newly-windowed, double-glazed apartment at 67 degrees - not because of drafts but because my radiator was only working at 1/3 capacity.  I wonder if my landlord thinks that new windows substitute for heat?

Wouldn't be so bad if I weren't already chilled after being out all day in the cold for CLOSE YOUR EYES, LINDA, YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THIS the annual Christmas Bird Count.  There were very few birds in view.  Unlike us silly humans, they were probably nestled all snug in their little warm hiding places out of the wind and the cold.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:26:45 AM by birdy »

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 21, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »
If it isn't one d**n thing, it's another, innit, birdy?

Must be time to call the landlord in yet again to fix the blasted thing!

I remember those bone-aching chills -- no thanks! I'm too old to freeze my fanny off for half the year. One or two months is more than enough for me.

Hope your counting went well. Like, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...  ;D >:D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: December 21, 2008, 09:23:13 PM »
Why on earth would anyone want to count b***s?!!!  What is the purpose of this exercise? - please explain. 

Actually, I must admit that I was counting b***s the other day - they were all cosy and nestled together in the freezers of my local supermarket - just waiting to be scoffed on Christmas Day!!  >:D >:D >:D  Sorry!!  >:D  Hahaha!!  >:D

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: December 22, 2008, 03:17:15 AM »
If it isn't one d**n thing, it's another, innit, birdy?

Must be time to call the landlord in yet again to fix the blasted thing!

I remember those bone-aching chills -- no thanks! I'm too old to freeze my fanny off for half the year. One or two months is more than enough for me.

Hope your counting went well. Like, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...  ;D >:D

Already called him again since it has not improved and in fact has gone down a little.  Wouldn't be so bad if I were moving around doing heavy cleaning, but since I did that two days ago after the windows were put in, I'm not about to repeat the process.

The count went well, though it was more like, "1." and "1, 2."  The only large numbers we saw were a couple of flocks of (American) robins - one of about 10, and another of about 20 (scattered by a swoop-through of a hawk being hassled by a few ("1,2,3.") bluejays).  When I was a kid, they migrated and when they came back, they were the first sign of spring.  Now many of them hang around all winter.

So the count was low, but the Garden was beautiful, and luckily I'd brought my camera, so I took lots of photos of the snowy scenery.  I tried to attach one, but it's 99 MB, so I couldn't.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: December 22, 2008, 03:27:29 AM »
Why on earth would anyone want to count b***s?!!!  What is the purpose of this exercise? - please explain. 

Hi, Linda,

The Christmas bird count started back at the beginning of the 20th century as a substitute for the then-common practice of going out shooting them on Christmas Day.  I found a pretty good explanation for the purpose on an Audubon web site:

The data collected by observers over the past century allow researchers, conservation biologists, and other interested individuals to study the long-term health and status of bird populations across North America. When combined with other surveys such as the Breeding Bird Survey, it provides a picture of how the continent's bird populations have changed in time and space over the past hundred years.

The long term perspective made possible by the Christmas Bird Count is vital for conservationists. It informs strategies to protect birds and their habitat - and helps identify environmental issues with implications for people as well. For example, local trends in bird populations can indicate habitat fragmentation or signal an immediate environmental threat, such as groundwater contamination or poisoning from improper use of pesticides.

In the 1980's CBC data documented the decline of wintering populations of the American Black Duck, after which conservation measures were put into effect to reduce hunting pressure on this species. More recently, in 2007, the data were instrumental in the development of two Audubon State of the Birds Reports - Common Birds in Decline, which revealed that some of America's most beloved and familiar birds have taken a nosedive over the past forty years, and WatchList 2007, which identified 178 rarer species in the continental U.S. and 39 in Hawaii that are imperiled. These two reports helped scientists and policy-makers to both identify threats to birds and habitat, and promote broad awareness of the need to address them.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: December 22, 2008, 03:35:53 AM »
Birdy -- I know you're retired, but how old ARE you??  :o :o
The Christmas bird count started back at the beginning of the 20th century as a substitute for the then-common practice of going out shooting them on Christmas Day.  I found a pretty good explanation for the purpose on an Audubon web site:

Did you actually KNOW Mr. Audobon personally?  >:D

(I'm going to assume you meant you starting your own counting at the beginning of the 21st century.)  ;)

And thanks for the enlightenment about how the practice originated!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: December 22, 2008, 04:03:03 AM »
Thank you for the fulsome explanation, birdy.   >:D

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: December 22, 2008, 04:14:27 AM »
Birdy -- I know you're retired, but how old ARE you??  :o :o

Did you actually KNOW Mr. Audobon personally?  >:D

(I'm going to assume you meant you starting your own counting at the beginning of the 21st century.)  ;)

And thanks for the enlightenment about how the practice originated!

I have a feeling I wouldn't have liked JJ very much - though I love his paintings - he shot thousands of b__ds to make those paintings.  Of course in those days, there was no shortage, and his work did spark an interest in b__ds that led eventually to people wanting to protect them - a little too late for some species like the Carolina parrot and the passenger pigeon.

No, even I am not old enough to have been in on the early counts.  And even more recent counts - when I was working, I couldn't take part because I was always too busy with holiday preparations in the small amount of free time I had.  But I started a few years ago, and I do the "short version" - the Botanic Garden is a relatively small area, and can be done in just a few hours, unlike people who are out all day in some of the other places.  The other advantage is that, as a very civilized public garden, there are very nice restrooms and a place to go in and get warm, and even a small cafe with hot coffee and pastries.  Not much like that in the park and certainly nothing like that at Greenwood Cemetery or Floyd Bennett Field or Plumb Beach, which are some of the other areas that are checked.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: December 22, 2008, 04:55:28 AM »
I wonder whether JJ actually ate the meat from the birds he "sacrificed." Did he roast them over a campfire and baste them with lemon garlic sauce?

But seriously, kudos on your work, birdy -- and on your resourcefulness in choosing places that have access to basic human survival and creature comforts.  :D

The golden-cheeked warbler and black-capped vireo are two birds nearing extinction here and are protected.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:56:59 AM by biggerbirdbrain »

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: December 22, 2008, 10:28:23 AM »
Haven't seen either of them.  Would love to.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: December 22, 2008, 11:53:06 AM »
If you come visit here, I've got friends in high (and low) places who could help us find them.  ;)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: December 23, 2008, 02:18:15 AM »
A possibility!  When I get back from Bolivia, I'll have to start planning my b__ding adventures for the year.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: December 23, 2008, 05:18:26 AM »
You are such a name-dropper Birdy.....and make me green with envy....you gadabout you!!!!!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: December 23, 2008, 09:55:59 AM »
She certainly is ... but then, aren't you as well, T?