Author Topic: Wednesday 19 January Challenge ASCERTAIN/SECTARIAN puzzle  (Read 239 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Wednesday 19 January Challenge ASCERTAIN/SECTARIAN puzzle
« on: January 20, 2022, 03:00:10 PM »
ARCANEST – the most arcane (it feels like this should be a word) - Alan, I'm truly unsure about this one...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wednesday 19 January Challenge ASCERTAIN/SECTARIAN puzzle
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 03:35:50 PM »
I didn't see arcanest in any dictionaries. Wiktionary is usually diligent about giving comparative and superlative forms, and it says most arcane. This is backed up by the News on the Web corpus, that has no instances of arcanest and about 100 of most arcane. The most recent was from the Guardian on 1 February:

The English planning system already has some of the most arcane rules about overlooking distances for new homes, making streets unnecessarily wide and windswept, and blocks placed needlessly far apart.

I think our word list can do without arcanest - and arcaner.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: Wednesday 19 January Challenge ASCERTAIN/SECTARIAN puzzle
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 04:18:16 PM »
It was a long shot... Thanks anyway, Alan...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)