Author Topic: Thursday 13 January 7-by-many BREEZINESS puzzle  (Read 494 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Thursday 13 January 7-by-many BREEZINESS puzzle
« on: January 14, 2022, 04:24:19 PM »
SERENESS – the state of being dry, withered

BRIBERIES – oh, if only they were rare; look out for a whole raft of them descending upon us in our upcoming Australian federal election…
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Thursday 13 January 7-by-many BREEZINESS puzzle
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 08:01:17 PM »
I feel like you’re just making words up.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 09:57:09 PM »
Not so Jacki, I'm serious about sereness AND it's in the Merriam-Webster... https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sereness
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 07:29:50 AM »
Briberies? They’re bribes.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 04:01:04 PM »
As you say, RTT, sereness is in the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

I imagined it was the kind of word that would have been used a fair bit in literary works, but I didn't find many examples by well-known writers. One example was in the Scott Moncrieff translation of Marcel Proust's Swann's Way:

And this pleasure, different from every other, had in the end created in him a need of her, which she alone, by her presence or by her letters, could assuage, almost as disinterested, almost as artistic, as perverse as another need which characterised this new period in Swann's life, when the sereness, the depression of the preceding years had been followed by a sort of spiritual superabundance, without his knowing to what he owed this unlooked-for enrichment of his life, any more than a person in delicate health who from a certain moment grows stronger, puts on flesh, and seems for a time to be on the road to a complete recovery:—this other need, which, too, developed in him independently of the visible, material world, was the need to listen to music and to learn to know it.

The above quote is one sentence, and reminds me why I gave up on reading Proust. Speaking of unreadable authors, it seems Jack Kerouac also used the word sereness.

A more recent example, from a non-fiction work, is found in The Road to Botany Bay (2010) by Paul Carter:

They derive their distinctness from our ideas of sereness and dullness. Their efficacy as metaphors of human life depends on our ideas of stale and withered age. But a tree eternally green offers the poet nothing.

I'll add sereness as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 04:10:01 PM »
The above quote is one sentence, and reminds me why I gave up on reading Proust. Speaking of unreadable authors, it seems Jack Kerouac also used the word sereness.

I'll add sereness as a rare word.

You make me chuckle, Alan... Thanks (for adding the rare word AND making me chuckle...)  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 03:02:07 PM »
Briberies is definitely a word - otherwise we wouldn't accept it currently as rare. However, while bribes may be common in many societies, the word briberies is not so commonly used. In fact some dictionaries label bribery as an uncountable noun - i.e. one without a plural - reflecting the infrequency of use of the plural. I suppose bribes are batches of money or other rewards, while briberies are multiple acts of bribery.

An example, from singer Southside Johnny, quoted in the NY Times in 2018: "There were briberies going on. The fire inspector would come in and we’d be way over capacity, and bills would change hands." However, such examples are few and far between, so I think the word should remain rare, unless someone can come up with an offer that might change my mind.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 03:23:41 PM »
However, such examples are few and far between, so I think the word should remain rare, unless someone can come up with an offer that might change my mind.

;D ;D ;D ;D

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 04:21:47 PM »
How much will it take???  >:D >:D >:D