Author Topic: Wordle  (Read 4587 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Wordle
« on: January 11, 2022, 08:35:29 PM »
I've just found a new word game that might be of interest to Chi players. Starting from scratch you have 6 goes to get the word, a sort of word hangman. There's only one game a day so you won't spend hours on it.

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Wordle
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 11:32:25 AM »
I've been playing for a few days now....since RTT posted the link on the More or Les page on January 6th !
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 07:17:32 PM »
I didn't see that, auntiemo. I don't read the More or Les thread. What do you reckon to the game?

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 07:23:00 PM »
I like it....6 from 6 so far....and I'm spreading the word. Always good to have another means of wasting time  :)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 06:37:30 AM »
Wordle copycat creator apologizes for ripping off the popular free word game

“I surely, surely will never do anything remotely close to this again”

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 10:35:40 AM »
And now, ABSURDLE, an adversarial version of the excellent Wordle.

More information

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 11:25:58 AM »
Dawn! This has so much time wasting potential.....

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 11:31:56 AM »
Damn apparently automatically became  dawn.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 10:15:45 AM »

I like it....6 from 6 so far....and I'm spreading the word. Always good to have another means of wasting time  :)

Hi Moyra,

I have now completed 20.  I have put a summary of my efforts in the More or Les thread with a challenge to show better results.

Pat, could you visit us just this once?
Regards, Jack

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 06:22:18 PM »
I've had  look. Well done, Jack. Being newer to the game than you I'm only on six out of six.

I (now) know you'd already mentioned Wordle in the More or Les thread before I started this thread, but as this is a dedicated thread why not show your results here?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 07:00:25 PM »
Hi Pat,

We have ongoing challenges (rebuses) and a regular following in the More or Les thread and so it seemed natural to drop another challenge in there.  However, if this thread is to become ongoing with regular updates on performances, then I am quite happy to contribute now and again.

If it is not to fizzle it needs a volunteer (you?) to be a ringmaster to gee up the troops now and again and to provide a focus as John (ridethetalk) does in the 7bymany Club thread and Pen and I do for the More or Les thread.

I have attached my stats to provide an initial benchmark but I would expect it to be bettered quickly as you and others get more games up.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 07:06:21 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 07:16:14 PM »
I doubt whether this thread will become ongoing, Jack. I certainly wouldn't be interested in ensuring that it does. I appreciate that a group of forumites enjoy challenging each other but it's not for me, which is one reason I don't bother with the More or Les thread. Similarly I never read the 7-by-many thread as I have no interest in knowing which words other people have missed.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 08:00:28 PM »
I am interested in what others find first and last. In fact I sometimes try and remember the last word I found - as I’ve said before Chi pretty well swirls around my head all day and night! I don’t play the 7 by many (it’s too hard!) but I generally read the thread. I think it helps to improve my word knowledge and as always with Chi, it’s that extra bit to think of like “poetical” not just poet, or “pianola” etc.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 10:44:08 PM »
I don’t play the 7 by many (it’s too hard!)

Sometimes when I first look at a 7bm puzzle I can't see a single word but I usually find that once I get going the words start to come. I agree it's harder than the other puzzles but it just takes a bit of getting used to. Unless you're adamantly opposed to the idea, Jacki, give it a fair try. You might find that you change your mind.  And it can help improve your word knowledge just like the other puzzles.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 11:04:55 PM »
https://arena.gamesforthebrain.com/games/word-wipe

Has anyone tried playing Word Wipe?  Give it a go, I find it quite addictive and frustrating!