Author Topic: Saturday 8 January 7-by-many MUSCLEMEN puzzle  (Read 597 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Saturday 8 January 7-by-many MUSCLEMEN puzzle
« on: January 09, 2022, 05:31:14 PM »
ECUMENE – inhabited land
CESSES – taxes
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday 8 January 7-by-many MUSCLEMEN puzzle
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 08:43:44 PM »
What’s your strike rate like on these suggestions with Alan?
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 10:13:13 PM »
No idea  ;D ;D ;D - I work on the basis: if you don't ask, you don't get and am an inveterate optimist...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 10:32:29 PM »
I agree with that philosophy in general especially when I’m paying for things, it’s amazing what happens a lot of the time.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 11:17:31 PM »
I attempted CUMULUSES,  but to no avail.

The thing is, neither CUMULUSES not CUMULI really sound right. The conversation would go like this:

"What kind of clouds are they, Dad?"
"They're cumuli, er, cumuluses, er, well that one's a cumulus and so are all the others."

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 02:01:09 AM »
I attempted CUMULUSES,  but to no avail.

The thing is, neither CUMULUSES not CUMULI really sound right. The conversation would go like this:

"What kind of clouds are they, Dad?"
"They're cumuli, er, cumuluses, er, well that one's a cumulus and so are all the others."

Haha, so did I...  :-P :-P :-P

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 04:02:31 AM »
It may not sound right but I believe the plural is cumuli.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 02:32:36 PM »
Cesses is not accepted because of the word cesse - an obsolete form of cease - which is accepted.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 02:47:11 PM »
Ecumene is in Meriam-Webster and Wiktionary. It originally meant that part of the world known to the ancient Greeks. It has come to mean the whole inhabited world, or the part of the world inhabited by a specific group of people. It seems to be especially popular in South Asian scholarly circles. An example from the Daily Star of Bangladesh in January this year:

In such a society, the visibility of Christian missions, the implicit racial hierarchies practiced by the missionaries and colonial officials and the explicitly insulting nature of Christian apologetics, especially about the Prophet, created an impression in the Bengali-Muslim ecumene of a much larger threat of Christianity.

The OED gives oecumene as the principal spelling, with ecumene as an alternative, and the Shorter Oxford lists oecumene only. Wiktionary identifies oecumene as an archaic form of the word. Both forms are in occasional current use, so I'll add both ecumene and oecumene as rare words.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 06:13:34 PM »
Thanks again Alan...

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 09:46:46 AM »
No idea  ;D ;D ;D - I work on the basis: if you don't ask, you don't get and am an inveterate optimist...

It will surprise no one that I originally read that as "invertebrate optimist" ... :D

However, there is one issue that does sometimes puzzle me - namely that while I understand that regular plural nouns are excluded from the database, surely this should not apply to verb forms that happen to resemble noun plurals by way of spelling?

Indeed, ceases provides possibly a canonical example, as it is not only a verb, but a 3rd person singular present tense form. Yes, this spelling also appears in present tense plural forms, but that's a consequence of English increasingly dispensing with declension and fully inflected conjugation over the passage of time.

I am also at this juncture wondering how hilarious it would be, to try and construct a Latin version of the game, with all manner of rules that would include or exclude the myriad inflected forms that pervade the vocabulary ... :D

If that isn't a daunting enough prospect, try a Classical Greek version ... made all the more difficult by the existence of grammatical constructs not found in other languages, such as the middle voice and optative mood for verbs, not to mention Greek verbs being based upon aspect instead of tense ...
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...