Author Topic: Forumites changing light bulbs -- a humorous thread!  (Read 642931 times)

Les303

Re: Forumites changing light bulbs -- a humorous thread!
« Reply #2040 on: June 27, 2016, 09:49:50 PM »
Gooday Dragonman ,

Have not spoken directly to you before but have certainly noticed you on the scoreboard ... very impressive ...& yes , you are certainly one of those players that i at least try to keep in touch with on the scoreboard.

Don't know too many dragon related jokes & you've probably heard this one before but it was the best i could come up with ;

Father has three daughters who are all getting married on the same day.
He asks his oldest daughter, ''Whom do you wish to marry? She says, ''Father, I wish to marry the man with three dragons on his chest.''
He walks over to his second daughter and asks her the same question. She replies, ''Father, I wish to marry the man with two dragons on his chest.''
He then goes to his youngest daughter and asks her the same question. She replies, ''I wish to marry the man with one dragon on the floor!''

Cheers Les

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: June 29, 2016, 02:00:09 AM »
Hi Les

I hadn't heard that one before....must try to remember it.

keep on playing and good luck

Dragonman
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: October 21, 2016, 09:01:02 PM »
A man walked into his back yard one morning and found a gorilla sitting in a tree, staring back at him. He tried unsuccessfully to get the gorilla to leave, so he called a gorilla-removal service, and soon a serviceman arrived with a stick, a Chihuahua, a pair of handcuffs, and a shotgun.

"Now listen carefully," the serviceman told the homeowner. "I'm going to climb the tree and poke the gorilla with this stick until he falls to the ground. The trained Chihuahua will then go right for the privates of the animal, and when the gorilla instinctively crosses his hands in front to protect himself, you slap on the handcuffs!"

"Got it," the homeowner replied. "But what's the shotgun for?"

"If I fall out of the tree before the gorilla," said the serviceman, "shoot the Chihuahua."

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: October 22, 2016, 06:08:00 AM »
 :D
Now there's a title for your autobiography, Alan!

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: October 25, 2016, 09:21:21 PM »
Science themed joke I found somewhere else ...

1st Chemist: "Can I have a glass of H2O?"

2nd Chemist: "Can I have a glass of water too?"

1st chemist bursts into tears - his assassination attempt had just failed.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: October 27, 2016, 02:05:16 PM »
This one is very good, but I might need to offer a translation.  Not everyone has studied chemistry as much as you have.

The intended reply of "Can I have a glass of H2O, too?" can be easily mistaken for H2O2, hydrogen peroxide, which is very dangerous and quite toxic in its pure form.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Les303

« Reply #2046 on: October 27, 2016, 04:43:15 PM »
Thanks for that A , as i have to admit that i didn't get it which makes it even funnier. ;D

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: October 28, 2016, 08:42:37 AM »
This one is very good, but I might need to offer a translation.  Not everyone has studied chemistry as much as you have.

The intended reply of "Can I have a glass of H2O, too?" can be easily mistaken for H2O2, hydrogen peroxide, which is very dangerous and quite toxic in its pure form.

- A

Actually, it's not so much toxic in concentrated form, as lethally corrosive. 90% hydrogen peroxide in contact with any organic material will result in said material undergoing spontaneous combustion, courtesy of the fact that hydrogen peroxide is a viciously powerful oxidising agent. If you try drinking it, you'll die from the effects of bursting into flames long before any toxic effects manifest themselves!

Dilute hydrogen peroxide, however, can be toxic. Which hasn't stopped some stupid people from suggesting intravenous injection thereof as a supposed cancer cure. First, you'll die from oxidative haemolysis long before the cancer kills you if a sufficient dose is administered. Second, even if a non-lethal dose reaches your internals, the horrific damage that will eventually result, as a consequence of all those free radicals partying hard in your body will give you cancer, not cure it. But I've learned never to underestimate the stupidity of some, or in the case of quack medical practitioners, the venality thereof.

Apparently, the terrifying experience of some Messerschmitt Me 163 pilots hasn't registered with some. For those unfamiliar with this, the Me163 was the world's only operational rocket powered fighter aircraft, which was propelled by a rocket engine the size of a briefcase, but which delivered what was at the time a whopping 4,000 pounds of thrust, enough to propel what was otherwise little more than a wooden glider to 700 mph. To achieve this speed, the rocket engine used a hair-raising combination of fuel (hydrazine hydrate and alcohol, itself a frighteningly combustible mix) and oxidant (90% hydrogen peroxide). If the plumbing leaked, and spilled peroxide into the cockpit, the pilot was basically a human torch.

Another hazard cost the Russians dearly, courtesy of their using hydrogen peroxide as a monopropellant for torpedoes. A faulty torpedo leaked hydrogen peroxide onto metal, resulting in explosive catalytic decomposition, and the resulting explosion, which also detonated warheads in adjacent torpedoes, sealed the fate of the Kursk nuclear-powered cruise missile submarine. Basically, when hydrogen peroxide comes into contact with various metals, it decomposes into water and oxygen, and the reaction is strongly exothermic, liberating a lot of heat, enough to turn the water to superheated steam in an instant, which of course expands violently. Even a small quantity of concentrated peroxide contacting the wrong metal will ruin your day if you're close enough to be hit by the blast.

To give you an idea how powerful a reagent it is, the next world land speed record attempt, the Bloodhound SSC, will use a peroxide bipropellant rocket in addition to the big jet engine, and the added thrust of the rocket is anticipated to take the car past the 1,000 mph mark. Anyone familiar with basic aerodynamics knows that it takes a hefty dose of thrust to propel even a streamlined aircraft or missile to that speed, and the Bloodhound SSC team are hoping for, wait for it, around 30,000 pounds of thrust from the rocket.

Now if that sounds like a substance you wouldn't want to mess with, there are even more vicious oxidising agents in existence, and the world of rocket propulsion toyed with some of these before the hazards became simply too much to handle. One of these is, quite literally, the King of the Hill of all dangerous chemicals - chlorine trifluoride. Yes, you can bond three fluorine atoms to a chlorine atom, to make something that's far nastier than either of the originals on their own. Fluorine gas itself is vicious to work with, but even that doffs its cap to chlorine trifluoride, which is powerful enough to make sand burst into flames, as cheerfully revealed by the chemist Derek Lowe in this now famous dissertation on the subject. In that piece, he reveals how a ton of the stuff was spilt during some 1950s American rocket experimentation, and it chewed its way through a reinforced concrete floor and the underlying gravel, treating everyone to a fireworks display that no one in the vicinity would forget - at least, those who were smart enough to hightail it out of the area and watch from a safe distance. You know you're dealing with something truly extraordinary, when you see it set fire to snow. Derek Lowe also treats his regular readers to this nice video clip illustrating what happens when this stuff cuts loose. Watch that video clip and be very afraid of what this stuff can do.

Incidentally, anyone with a chemistry background will have a huge amount of fun reading Derek Lowe's blog section Things I Won't Work With, in which he takes his audience on a Baedecker Tour of some of the most lunatic concoctions ever to be synthesised in a chemistry lab. People are clamouring for him to compile a book with all of this in, and you'll soon find out why if you take a peek at his handiwork.

All of which leads nicely to ...

How many German chemists does it take to change a light bulb?

As many as you can supply with blast shields.

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: October 28, 2016, 09:25:35 AM »
I thought it was odd when the hospital gave me hydrogen peroxide to gargle with after I had my tonsils out. Now it sounds even odder!

Les303

« Reply #2049 on: October 28, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »
anona ,what a shame that calilasseia didn't take the time to offer a more comprehensive explanation as i am sure that if the response had been just a little bit more detailed than the few paltry lines that were posted then it surely would have included an answer to your particular experience. :)

Alan , i also noticed that this light bulb thread has been read an amazing 267,161 times ( i am normally pretty happy if a thread that i have initiated receives more than one reply )
so i am assuming that this would be the record for the number of views of any chi post?

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: October 29, 2016, 02:56:26 AM »
Alan , i also noticed that this light bulb thread has been read an amazing 267,161 times ( i am normally pretty happy if a thread that i have initiated receives more than one reply )
so i am assuming that this would be the record for the number of views of any chi post?

Yes, this post has the record number of views. Followed by "Dedicated to Linda" with 145,338 views. But Linda's thread has more posts than this thread has.

Post NameViewsReplies
Forumites changing light bulbs267,2472,049
Dedicated to Linda145,3382,196

You can view these and many other stats by clicking on "[More Stats]" on the home page. It's toward the bottom of the page in the Forum Stats section.

Les303

« Reply #2051 on: October 29, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »
Thanks anonsi , i'll check it out.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: November 03, 2016, 10:47:13 AM »
I thought it was odd when the hospital gave me hydrogen peroxide to gargle with after I had my tonsils out. Now it sounds even odder!

Weak solutions have in the past been used topically as bactericides, but even a 3% solution is going to leave visible signs of its application on the skin if not applied with care.

Frankly, the thought of gargling even with a weak solution makes me shudder, given what I know about its chemistry. It'll kill lots of bacteria, certainly, as will any sufficiently powerful oxidising agent, but finding an oxidising agent that will destroy bacteria without the risk of destroying you if it's not applied with great care, is difficult to put it mildly. Which is why other compounds tend to be chosen preferentially for the purpose. The problem here is if you accidentally swallow any of it whilst gargling, even a weak solution is going to make you regret this.

To give you an idea of how chemists view this substance, 30% peroxide is considered a cause for concern if you spill it on yourself, and a 70% solution is generally handled when wearing chain mail gloves. As Derek Lowe explains over on his blog, this isn't hyperbole - if you visit any chemistry lab that stores 70% peroxide, there's a nice set of woven metal gloves accompanying the bottle. They're provided so that if you accidentally spill some on your hand, the contact with metal will trigger catalytic decomposition before it reaches your flesh, and starts oxidising that. 70% is powerful enough to leave chemical burns that persist for months, but has the added nasty feature that you don't immediately notice what's happening, until you start itching like mad. By then, it's too late, and you're going to be given a crash course in plastic surgery to repair the damage.

The good news is that if you know you've spilt some 70% on you, and act quickly, washing the affected site with lots of water prevents significant damage from occurring. Alternatively, plunging the affected area into lubricating oil will give the chemical something easier to attack. The bad news is that if your bottle of reagent contains high-test peroxide (95% or stronger), you won't have chance to do that, because the part of you that's hit by any spillage will burst into flames. I'm consequently more than a little alarmed at the revelation that one chemist transported a bottle of high test peroxide from one lab to another, by cradling the bottle between his legs whilst driving. If he'd been hit by another vehicle during the journey, and the bottle had ruptured, he'd have become a human torch quicker than you can say "Guy Fawkes".

If you really want to oxidise something recalcitrant, however, you can bubble ozone into your peroxide solution, and hit your target with a reagent that will guarantee oxidation of anything other than substances that have already been oxidised beforehand. This mixture won't have an effect on sand, unlike the vicious chlorine trifluoride I mentioned above, but this is a mixture you really do not want to spill on yourself.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: November 09, 2016, 02:10:08 PM »
Shall we please get back to humor?

Today I have a 2 for 1.  Two jokes in one post.  If you like only half my posts, you might be amused by at least one.

My boss at work is in the UK, so he might not know how things work over here.  Either that or he is not paying attention.  I informed him that we have 21 voting locations in Roanoke City, and that it takes extreme effort and quite a bit of time to vote in each of them.  The time factor can be even more significant if there is a waiting line at any of them.  Obviously I would need the entire day off to do my civic duties.

That should have been bad enough, but he actually approved the time off for me to cast multiple votes in various locations.  I had to phone him to explain that this was a joke, and that the concept of "one person one vote" is still alive and well on this side of the pond.

Second joke:

We had a meeting early this morning, and he asked me if I had voted.  I told him that I must have gotten thoroughly lost on my way to the voting location; I ended up mistakenly voting for brexit.   ;D
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: November 14, 2016, 11:45:11 AM »
Oh, thank goodness - something to laugh about after the recent election!