Author Topic: Thursday 30 December 7-by-many DISCUSSION puzzle  (Read 553 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Thursday 30 December 7-by-many DISCUSSION puzzle
« on: December 31, 2021, 03:16:46 PM »
SINOD – a church gathering – I think the Anglicans have these…

UNODIOUS – comparative form of odious as in more … or most …

CONSCION – having a specified kind of conscience and hence conscionable and unconscionable
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

doxydaisy

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
Re: Thursday 30 December 7-by-many DISCUSSION puzzle
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 03:27:17 PM »
I think synod is the correct spelling of a church gathering John but nice try ;D

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 03:30:55 PM »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 04:56:02 PM »
Ok, that looks possible, but then there's this: https://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/middle-english-dictionary/dictionary/MED40489

Middle English??? Alan has enough to manage Modern English without dealing with that!

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 08:52:13 AM »
Middle English??? Alan has enough to manage Modern English without dealing with that!

lol  ;D :o :-P

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 02:52:59 PM »
As discussed, sinod is not part of modern English and will not be accepted.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 02:59:20 PM »
Unodious is listed by Wiktionary, but not by any other dictionary that I checked. I suspect that some zealous Wiktionary volunteer has gone through all the adjectives adding un- at the start wherever that seems at all conceivable. The entry has no usage examples. I also found no examples in a couple of very large corpora. Google does reveal a few instances of unodious, but I feel it's too obscure and quirky a word to be worth including in Chi.
Alan Walker

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 03:21:15 PM »
Wiktionary lists conscion as a verb, with the inflections conscioning and conscioned. On the other hand the OED lists conscioned as an obsolete adjective, and does not have conscion at all. Other dictionaries know nothing of any of these words.

Three of the four usage examples cited by Wiktionary are using conscioned. The other uses conscioning.

It seems conscionable and unconscionable are derived from conscions, an archaic form of conscience.

Usage examples of conscion, conscioning and conscioned are all very thin on the ground. I'm going to go with the OED and accept conscioned as a rare word.
Alan Walker

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 03:25:21 PM »
Thanks anyway Alan...  ;D ;D ;D