Author Topic: Saturday 25 December 10-letter HESITANTLY puzzle  (Read 236 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Saturday 25 December 10-letter HESITANTLY puzzle
« on: December 30, 2021, 04:34:56 PM »
HALINE – salty (and, no, I don't mean saline - although that's pretty salty too!!!) perhaps has something to do with the halogen elements???  ??? ??? ???
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Saturday 25 December 10-letter HESITANTLY puzzle
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 03:40:53 PM »
Well haline is derived from Greek and saline is derived from Latin. Otherwise they seem to mean exactly the same thing. A halogen is an element that can form a salt by combining with a metal.

The word haline is in Wiktionary but no other dictionary that I can see, but scientists do sometimes use it. For example in Nature in February 2021:

The influence of salinity changes has also been a central focus of studies on estuarine ecosystem biodiversity, which is commonly reduced along haline gradients from marine to brackish conditions.

I'll add it as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: Saturday 25 December 10-letter HESITANTLY puzzle
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 04:59:50 PM »
Thanks once more, Alan...  ;D ;D ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)