Author Topic: Merry Christmas dear forumites  (Read 1503 times)

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
Re: Merry Christmas dear forumites
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 10:54:14 AM »
And the mild conditions have persisted into the New Year ...

Went out moth trapping on New Year's Day. 15°C, and although there weren't many moths showing up, the spiders were out in force, including three resplendent specimens of Nuctenea umbratica that I didn't expect to see out and about. :)

Oh, and for some reason, there were also huge numbers of woodlice out and about on the tree trunks.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2022, 10:59:30 AM »
Oh, and for some reason, there were also huge numbers of woodlice out and about on the tree trunks.

When would you expect to see the woodlice out and about normally???
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 04:05:15 PM »

When would you expect to see the woodlice out and about normally???

Usually they don't make their presence felt where I live, at least not in conspicuous numbers, until late March at the earliest. Usually, I only see the odd one or two hardy ones active outdoors during December and January, not the small armies of them that were occupying the Horse Chestnut trees!

Later in the year  they appear in abundance when warm enough rain descends in the right quantity.  Not too little, not too much.

In the past, January temperatures would have been too low for them to emerge from hibernation, but this year we're starting with the sort of temperatures that usually don't arrive until April!
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...