Author Topic: 7-by-many book sales  (Read 1949 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
7-by-many book sales
« on: December 23, 2021, 11:02:47 AM »
There's a striking difference between the US and the UK in sales of the four (so far) volumes of 7-by-many puzzles. So far this month, 89% of Chihuahua books sold in the US have been 7bm titles, whereas in the UK 7bm books have represented just 1.3% of sales.

I wonder if this is due to the types of puzzles that people have played in newspapers. I have the impression that Target puzzles are available in a few British papers, as well as similar puzzles under different names (word wheel, polywords, etc.) But I'm not sure if these types of puzzles are printed in any US newspapers. On the other hand the New York Times has its Spelling Bee puzzle, which was my inspiration for the 7-by-many puzzles. The Spelling Bee puzzle seems to have quickly built up a dedicated following. I haven't heard of any other newspaper anywhere in the world running a puzzle with the same concept.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Re: 7-by-many book sales
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 01:50:10 PM »
It is my impression, from a rather limited selection of newspapers, that Target-type games are not available in U. S. newspapers. There used to be one that I played years ago called Word Game. It was after Word Game disappeared that I found Chihuahua, so it's been more than a decade. My hometown paper, the Washington Post, has a couple of word puzzles, but nothing like Target or Spelling Bee. I have tried the New York Times's Spelling Bee, but I found it rather clunky. I've never seen a word game like Spelling Bee or 7-by-Many anywhere else.

The 7-by-many is my favorite of the Chihuahua puzzles. I love its more free-form nature. Maybe that's what appeals to my fellow Americans.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 03:46:17 PM »
Although "target" games are quite common in UK papers I don't recall ever having seen anything resembling the "7-by-many" and so the lack familiarity may at least partly explain the lack of appeal. Which is a shame because like rogue_mother I find myself drawn to this game more than the others. Indeed I find it "easier" - whenever I stray into "normal" puzzle territory, I never score nearly as well as I do in the 7-by-many!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 09:08:57 PM »
I read quite a few magazines and newspapers and regularly see similar puzzles to the Challenge and Standard type games.  They are usually presented in the form of a circle with the obligatory letter in the centre, usually called Word Wheel.  The familiarity of this type of puzzle may explain why I simply cannot see the appeal of the 7 by many games.  I have ventured into this dark and murky world once or twice but quickly left again!  Would be interested to see whether other UK players feel the same.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 10:06:32 PM »
Would be interested to see whether other UK players feel the same.

Many years ago I used to do the Target in the Daily Express. Someone in the office used to buy the paper and we'd compare results at the end of each day. Initially I wasn't too keen on the 7-by-many but I persevered with it and, like some other forumites have said, it's now become my favourite, although I often fall far short of a rosette. My goal with any puzzle is to reach 'Best'. Rosettes are a bonus.

Speaking of the puzzle, what do others think about the word levels? Taking the 'Good' target as an example I much prefer the puzzles that have, say, 15 rather than those with 7 or 8 at that level.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 10:17:13 PM »
Had another look at it - still not for me!  Much prefer it when you can only use one letter once.  To each his own, I guess.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 10:29:03 PM »
Me & you both Linda (surprise surprise!)  I can't on with it at all!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 10:57:36 PM »
I would have been surprised and disappointed if you thought otherwise, Pen!

Cornish pasty for lunch with a good dollop of ketchup on the side!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2021, 01:06:06 AM »
That sounds very delish Linda :-H  Cheese & pickle sarnies for me - very average!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2021, 11:24:26 AM »
Would be interested to see whether other UK players feel the same.

Many years ago I used to do the Target in the Daily Express. Someone in the office used to buy the paper and we'd compare results at the end of each day. Initially I wasn't too keen on the 7-by-many but I persevered with it and, like some other forumites have said, it's now become my favourite, although I often fall far short of a rosette. My goal with any puzzle is to reach 'Best'. Rosettes are a bonus.

Speaking of the puzzle, what do others think about the word levels? Taking the 'Good' target as an example I much prefer the puzzles that have, say, 15 rather than those with 7 or 8 at that level.

We’ve played ‘Target’ puzzles for decades in my family, and I still play every day with my mum (in the UK). But on Chi - I couldn’t get on with the 7BM at first - such a different kind of challenge. I couldn’t ‘see’ the words. But persevered, for that reason, and it’s my favourite now by many miles. I rarely play the others any more but head for ‘your puzzles’ for more 7BM. Maybe it is the free form thing, as RM says, where the words aren’t as proscribed? Or I just love the challenge / stretch of it. I have to think of words rather than spot them.

I prefer the smaller puzzles though - if the ‘Best’ is 40s or more I often end up blankly shuffling, so I tend to give up sooner. So, 7 or 8 for ‘good’ is fine by me.

Have played some humungous ones on ‘your puzzles’ though, and stick with my aim of a ‘Best’ score with single-figure common words left. Thrilled if I get a rosette.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2021, 11:27:51 AM »
I wonder if it’s also the mix/shuffle features, which help a lot with 7BM? I can’t see it working so well on paper. (I could be wrong!) That doesn’t explain the difference though, unless people are happier to use reams of paper for a game in the US?! 😆