• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Howdo?
« on: July 25, 2007, 12:43:07 PM »
In another topic, on another board, Linda asked:

Alan ... while you're here and because I can't remember where to post the topic of new words ... what about Howdo?  It is a very common expression of greeting where I live!

Linda, I'm not surprised you were unable to remember where to post about new words. It's hidden here on the "Words: Their meanings and origins, including suggestions for extra words in the games" board.

In the Shorter Oxford entry for how, it says, "how do? colloq. how do you do; hello." I haven't seen any dictionary that writes it as one word. And I think the way people say it, it sounds like two words. If it were a single word, one syllable would be emphasised much more than the other. As in the word howdy: HOW-dee. But if you try saying HOW-do, it sounds strange - difficult to recognise, even.

So, I'm not convinced there is any such word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: Howdo?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 09:18:49 PM »
Thanks for at least considering the word, Alan.  I can assure you that it is a standard form of greeting in these parts and I have seen it written as one word but have the feeling that may have been in a Cumbrian dialect book.  It was worth a try, anyway!  >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 09:21:19 PM »
I'm sure, too, that the American "howdy" comes from that. Anyone remember the old kiddie show, "Howdy Doody?" The little cowboy marionette? That was such a great childhood memory!! Long, long, long ago.

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 05:54:18 AM »
Of course I remember the "Howdy Doody Show".  The man who was the emcee, whose real name I don't remember, just passed away recently.  On the show he was known as "Buffalo Bob".

Who cannot forget the "Flub-a-dub",  or  Clarabelle the clown, or Princess Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring.

Nowadays, I would probably want to spell it "Summer/Fall/Winter/Spring" but I'm sure some would prefer the hyphenated version.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 05:57:08 AM by Alonzo Quixote »