Author Topic: Random Game question  (Read 6040 times)

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
Random Game question
« on: July 24, 2007, 04:13:14 PM »
Alan - would it be difficult to provide an option in the Random game where you could input your own 9 letters.  I am thinking of transcribing the local paper letters - find it easier (after so much experience) to find words on the computer than with pen and paper.

Just a suggestion - wouldn't want to create a huge workload for you if it is complicated.
Gaye
   :)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Re: Random Game question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 04:39:42 PM »
That could be fun......I enjoy the random games, but would it mean that the poor computer would have to do millions of new computations?  You can tell I'm not very computer literate, because I've no idea how it would work.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 06:10:03 PM »
I'll think about that idea, Gaye. But why do you want to do the puzzle in the paper anyway? What's wrong with the random random?

What you suggest certainly would be possible. In fact, when I was first creating Chihuahua, I set up something that would allow me to do exactly that, as a kind of sanity check. I generally found that the words printed in the paper the next day were not much different from the "common words" identified by Chi. And where there were differences, I felt I was correct more often than they were. (For example, the Age solution this morning has rete - what the dickens is that?)

But if this option was made generally available, the Chi word list would really be put to the test, which could be interesting.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 06:11:29 PM »
Alan ... while you're here and because I can't remember where to post the topic of new words ... what about Howdo?  It is a very common expression of greeting where I live!  >:D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
Howdo Linda....
And while i am here, What about my PANTS???

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 06:15:44 PM »
Its my competitive streak Alan.  I have a friend who only does the paper version (not on broadband so isn't willing to dip into Chi) and we discuss it some days when we are working together on boring mind dulling jobs.

But don't worry - I used to do the paper one religiously every day (except Sunday when they don't have it), but it often gets neglected these days in favour of Chi.
Gaye

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 06:18:08 PM »
Howdo to you too .... I am having nothing to do with your pants .... though I do think they should be allowed to make an appearance (not literally, obviously, too gross) as a valid word!  >:D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 06:19:11 PM »
Good girl Gaye...
That's what we like to hear...
Clock up another addict for the sessions VIRAL.. ;)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 06:23:48 PM »
I'm glad to hear that, Gaye. I wouldn't like to think you were trying to use Chi as a mere adjunct to the competition's feeble efforts.

By the way, have you noticed a couple of louts trying to hijack your topic? The cheek! I think they might be Northern types - I overheard them saying, "Howdo" to each other or some such plebeian expression. Probably best to try to ignore them, and they'll soon move on.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 06:26:29 PM »
I will not be ignored!!!  Lout???  I have never been so insulted!!!   What's wrong with Howdo???  Are you going to allow it?  Go on .... you know it makes sense!  >:D

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 06:32:47 PM »
I did notice Alan - I think we might have to forgive them - I believe they are waterlogged.  Probably has impaired their ability to find the right thread for their conversation. Howdo indeed!
Gaye

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 06:43:13 PM »
HHMM!!!

Plebeian indeed!  Lout?!? ...you need to remember your origins sonny Jim..and how and why you are where you are....

There was me...cheering Gaye on...to leave behind those pathetic pencilly things..that some folk still seem to use....geeing on this fantastic game...with a mere howdo to my mate, chucked in...and you go off on one... >:(

Gaye has a forgiving nature...being a mother...and she will perfectly understand that we are merely multi-posting [a bit like multi-tasking] which is a concept that you will not be able to grasp...being a man.

Now i have sensed a bit of tension in you of late VIRAL.....Is it that time of the month again....??? Are you a bit pre-menstrual??? Feeling a bit bloated??? Us girlies do understand...
But a bit more exercise will help to relieve that tension...and then you will be back to being a nice, less sarky person again...
 :angel: