Author Topic: New word suggestion  (Read 28400 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: New word suggestion
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 09:34:12 PM »
Alan,

What about "ills", as in, bodily ills? One can be ill, but having ills is used slightly differently. Would that qualify?

Thanks,
3-B  :)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 12:01:10 PM »
I have to say I'm a bit dubious about "ills", 3-B.

It is the plural of the noun "ill" which dictionaries define as meaning misfortune, trouble, harm, ailment. The singular is used in the phrase "I wish you no ill", or you might say, "Sometimes good can come from ill", although the word certainly is more commonly used in the plural.

I'll have to mull it over some more...

In the meantime, a word you can use when the letters are there is "illth". (You probably already know it, 3-B, but maybe some others don't.) As you can imagine, it means the opposite of health, but it can also mean the opposite of wealth. This usage possibly comes from John Ruskin, who used the word to describe products that do not add to people's well-being.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 12:10:23 PM »
Thanks, Alan. You're always fair.

:) Cheers,
3-B

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 01:20:35 PM »
Thanks, 3-B. But I don't see it so much as a matter of being fair - after all, adding a word doesn't necessarily  advantage or disadvantage any particular group of players. I think it's more a matter of trying to make the game behave in a way that players will see as consistent - and entertaining.

And discussing whether a word should be allowed or not can be entertaining in itself, regardless of the outcome.
Alan Walker

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 08:19:32 PM »
hey al - what about including "endeth" as in "here endeth the lesson" - i'm sure that's biblical or somthing.

Viz
Viz

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 01:25:25 AM »
Hi Alan..
good old John Ruskin...
he obviously wasn't into sex and drugs and rock n' roll.... nor drink..nor cigarettes...nor gambling....nor chocolate...
I don't think him and i would have got on very well...nothing in common at all in fact.....
[What must you think of me?  Do not answer that!!!...it was retorical... :-X]
What a boring life he must have had...or a very discreet skeleton or 3 in his cupboard...who didn't want to sell their story to the papers for a fortune...
Ta Ra...
;)

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 02:37:16 AM »
What about dane?

I have been tripped up by this one several times.  I assume that it is not included because it would normally be written with a capital letter, but what about a dog that is a great dane?  I don't think that would be capitalized, but please feel free to correct me ... I have been wrong before  ;)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 08:27:16 AM »
Hello Dean,
We don't hear from you very often...
Nice to hear from you now...
Technomc  ;)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 02:30:52 PM »
Hi there Dean

So you want to be able to play "dane", eh? Not content with being able to use your own name, you want every anagram of it as well?

Only kidding, of course. It actually looks to me as if the word is always written with a capital D, whether referring to a person from Denmark or a dog. Another obstacle is that "Dane" in the dog sense is almost always part of the phrase "Great Dane", rather than being a word in its own right. But the Shorter Oxford Dictionary does give "Dane" as a variant of "Great Dane", so the real problem seems to be the capital D.

It looks like you'll have to be content with "dean". By the way, we have something in common, because "alan" is also recognised as a word. Apparently an alan is a wolfhound, and also a "huge tree found mainly in the peat-swamp rain forests of northern Borneo".
Alan Walker

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »
hey al - what about including "endeth" as in "here endeth the lesson" - i'm sure that's biblical or something.

At a guess, I'd say the Book of Common Prayer, Viz, but anyhow, I think it probably ought to be allowed.
Alan Walker

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 07:20:34 PM »
 Hi Alan,
            How long before "bling" becomes acceptable? It seems to be part of everyday vocabulary now, but Chi turned it down!   :(

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 07:35:58 PM »
Somebody suggested "bling" in the early days of Chihuahua, but from what I could see at the time, the usual form was "bling-bling", with or without the hyphen. But maybe that needs another look.

Any thoughts, other Chi-folk?
Alan Walker

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 07:56:41 PM »
I was gutted to see my percentage drop yesterday because I assumed bling was accepted contemporary vocab. Then I googled it, and was told all over the place that bling is not on, it has to be bling-bling. I never hear anybody say bling-bling. In this country many Maori words are repeated like this (e.g. rewa-rewa lilies,) I would have though bling-bling would fit in really well?

But then I'm just a Kiwi with an appalling sense of acceptable. We recently had bugger declared a non-offensive word. The Aussies hated our 'Toyota Bugger' ad, and banned it! [Am I allowed to say bugger Alan? ] If anyone wants to see this ad, and I think it's a really funny, even though it's about 5 years old now and no longer shown on TV, it's googlable (googlible?) if you have reasonable searching skills... (is google a chi word?)

Yeah, I vote FOR bling!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 08:20:03 PM »
Bobbi, Chihuahua allows "google", "googled" and "googling", but I'm not saying the letters will ever come up to use any of them!

I must have missed the story about the Toyota bugger ad, but I found it easily, and it is funny. It's ironic that Australians got upset about it, given the flack drawn by the "Where the bloody hell are you?" Australian tourism ads. The people behind those ads said "bloody" is not an offensive word in Australia. But they forgot that international tourists come from other countries.
Alan Walker

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 11:03:04 PM »
I also tried bling.  I think that it should be allowed.   I hear bling by itself more often than "bling-bling" now.

anonsi