Author Topic: New word suggestion  (Read 28410 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
New word suggestion
« on: March 27, 2007, 08:37:22 PM »
Hi Alan and fellow Chi addicts

Wonder if it would be possible to add a new word to the dictionary?  Was playing the Standard game today and thought I'd come up with a really good word, only to find it was not allowed!  :(  The word is ladette - sadly, a particularly British word which means - (informal) a young woman that behaves like a lad: being loud, drinking heavily, sleeping around.   Charming word, I don't think, but it is in popular usage in Britain now.  What do you think?

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: New word suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 02:06:25 AM »
Hi Linda and all,
I tried that word too...and got a horrible noise when it was rejected? As you say, not the nicest word or description but then there are much worse 4 letter swear words [ :o ] that are acceptable..
So i second that nomination....all those in favour say Ay!

Cheers,
Technomc :)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 10:45:47 AM »
When I was playing that puzzle I thought of "ladette" without consciously knowing of it as a word. So I didn't even try it (not that I'd have been any the wiser if I had), but perhaps I'd read the word some time and it had lodged in some poorly-lit cranny at the back of my brain.

Anyhow, it certainly qualifies. The Oxford and Encarta online dictionaries both include it, and there are plenty of websites discussing the word and the phenomenon it names. So it'll go in our list sometime soon.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 06:36:04 PM »
Thanks Alan - the word will probably never crop up again but I will pounce on it if it does!!!   ;D

Linda

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 12:41:21 AM »
What about "rerod"?  It is a reinforcing rod or bar used for concrete work.  It is also sometimes known as rebar...

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 02:54:08 AM »
Hi,
how about rebarred...thats happened to me several times after a rowdy night at my local??
Technomc

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 10:47:57 AM »
"Rebar" is in the Chihuahua word list. "Rerod" seems to be used as an alternate term on quite a lot of building and construction websites, although I haven't found it in any dictionary so far. (It's also the name of a rock band from Fridley, Minnesota, but they don't seem to say where they got their name from.)

So, probably "rerod" should be admitted.
Alan Walker

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 02:54:29 PM »
Hi Alan,
Would it be possible to add lees to the list (i.e. the sticky goop at the bottom of a red wine bottle?) I know it's a plural,  ::) but there's no possible singular use. Thanks, Bobbi

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 04:31:48 PM »
I second Bobbi..........I was vaguely peeved to have "lees" rejected!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 04:44:06 PM »
Hi Bobbi

Yes, "lees" seems like it should be allowed. It is apparently the plural of a long-disused word "lee", meaning the same thing. But already in Shakespeare's time "lees" was being used as if it were the singular word:

Quote from: Macbeth
The wine of life is drawn, and the mere lees
Is left this vault to brag of.

Of course, there's another word "lee", meaning the sheltered side, but this is completely unrelated. So, I can't see why "lees" shouldn't be added. Of course, it's too late for today's puzzle, but it will go into the list soon.

Thanks for the suggestion. I raise my glass to you.
Alan Walker

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 07:06:36 PM »
Alan--I've got another one.

I know this is treading on shaky ground -- and can't recall if anyone's already brought it up, but what about "news" - like, as in news reports. I realize that new would seem to be the singular form, but "news" is usually reserved only for one meaning. Am I right?

Thanks.
3-B

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 07:16:12 PM »
3-B, your suggestion is so good that it's already been implemented!

"News" has always been allowed, and in fact was discussed just a couple of days ago in another topic, in answer to a question from Colhad.

It shows how busy the forum's getting, that even lexicomanes can't keep up with all the discussions!
Alan Walker

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 07:20:46 PM »
Ooops! Sorry, Alan,

Thanks, doh. You're right. That's why you are the leader of the pack. And, yet, the forum all of a sudden has gotten intense again.

Cheers,
3-B

Colhad

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 08:03:25 PM »
I just tried "Smilies" but no luck with it either.
I'm an Aspie.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 09:13:11 PM »
Colhad, if you're thinking of these things  :) :) you could make "smiley" (if you had a Y  :( ), but of course, you wouldn't be able to have "smileys" because of the plural rule.

On this forum, they're called "smileys", but looking around the Net, they seem to be spelled "smilies" just as often. But then the question arises, what is the singular - is it "smily" or "smilie". Again, both seem to be used quite a lot.

So, in conclusion, I'm not sure what to think about "smilies".   ???
Alan Walker