Author Topic: New word suggestion  (Read 28401 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: New word suggestion
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 11:25:56 PM »
I agree w/Anonsi - the term started off as bling-bling, but it seems to have been (d)evolved into just bling now.

Is it heard much in Oz, or do you just get it from what you hear in the US?

Cheers,
3-B

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2007, 11:47:53 PM »
It's everywhere here in Oz, BBB......bling is the latest buzz-word. I agree with previous comments....when the term first appeared, it was "bling-bling" but thanks to the Aussie love of abbreviation, the only thing you seem to see, read or hear now is "bling"

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 02:23:31 AM »
Hi 3B and Binkie,
Or should i say...
Hi 3bling-bling-bling and Blingie, ;D
I think bling should be included....i haven't got enough to have bling-bling....
So 'bling' is the poor persons definition!
Cheers mateys,
;)

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 05:44:30 AM »
It's ironic that Australians got upset about it, given the flack drawn by the "Where the bloody hell are you?" Australian tourism ads. The people behind those ads said "bloody" is not an offensive word in Australia. But they forgot that international tourists come from other countries.

Hi Alan,
Nobody in New Zealand turned a hair - it was the UK that got upset about the tourism ads. Only caveat is that it has to air on telly after 8.30 - fair enough  ;)
Just as well for Australia, because Kiwis are a great source of tourist revenue. I reckon whoever desigend the ads knew a thing or two about what would and would not offend Kiwis (pretty much nothing.)
Bobbi

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 07:11:44 AM »
Hi All,
I found the advert  easily and thought it was really funny...and i wasn't offended at all..but then as you may have gathered i'm not really the prudish English , narrow-minded type... it certainly made me titter... :D
Ta Ra
;)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 08:54:35 AM »
We in America probably have our own prudish ways (there's a real dichotomy), but frankly, I don't get why the hell anybody would get so bloody uptight! Oops!

;D
3-B

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 11:18:25 AM »
OK, I'm sold on "bling".

It seems we know exactly where "bling bling" came from: when it was included in the Oxford a few years ago, MTV News ran a story about it, saying:

The term, which is used to describe diamonds, jewelry and all forms of showy style, was coined by New Orleans rap family Cash Money Millionaires back in the late '90s and started gaining national awareness with a song titled "Bling Bling" by Cash Money artist BG.

But, in the meantime, general usage was tending to knock one of the blings off. So far, not a lot of dictionaries have caught up with this. In fact many dictionaries haven't yet caught up with "bling bling" at all, at all.

However, Encarta and the Canadian Oxford both now offer "bling" as an alternative form.

So the Chihuahua word list will be adorned with bling in the near future.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2007, 12:06:29 PM »
Getting back to Colhad's suggestion of "smilies" last week, I think "smilie" should definitely be allowed, as it's used quite a lot, even though it's absent from just about every dictionary so far.

But the plural could only pass our criteria as the plural of "smily", which seems to be used much less often than "smilie", so I don't think "smilies" should be allowed.

Of course, any set of letters that could make "smilies" could also make "smilie", but the reverse is not the case, so you're more likely to get a word this way, anyhow.

A tip, which is probably already well-known to forum members, is that any time a word ending in "ies" is rejected, it's worth trying the word with the "s" dropped off if the letters permit it. For example, "aunties" is not allowed because "auntie" is.
Alan Walker

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007, 12:20:59 AM »
Alan -

I came across a possible word on the random puzzle - "noni", which Chi would not accept. It is classified as Morinda citrifolia, and is a shrub or tree with white flowers, found in Asia, India, and now in the French Tahiti area, among others. I know someone who sells noni juice and other products, and swear by its beneficial health effects. I'm not sure that it needs to be capitalized, but it would be like most flora and fauna that aren't, I suspect.

Breathlessly, I await your wise reply.

Cheers, ;D
3-B

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2007, 12:34:28 AM »
Alan:

I know that you do not want to get into a whole bunch of computer terms ... but ... I think that although bios is an acronym, it has been generally accepted, and in fact it appears in the Farlex dictionary that Chi links with.  What do you think?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2007, 11:47:52 AM »
3-B: "noni" looks good. I hadn't heard of it, but it's in recent editions of the Oxford, so that's good enough for me.

Dean: As far as I can see, "BIOS" is almost always written in capital letters, so that would probably rule it out for Chi purposes.
Alan Walker

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2007, 01:11:56 AM »
Alan--

How 'bout "edda" - which can mean either tuberous roots (not capitalized) or, old Nordic poetry (with caps)?

Also, "argel" (its common name)- a medicinal plant

Thanks, encore!
 :D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 02:16:43 AM by biggerbirdbrain »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2007, 01:17:55 PM »
3-B:

Interestingly, "edda" in the sense of a tuberous root seems to me to be a misprint for "eddo"! All the Web pages I could find that use the word "edda" in relation to tuberous roots seem to be derived from one source: The Princeton WordNet. As far as I can see, no other dictionary gives "edda" this meaning, although many of them have "eddo" with that meaning. The WordNet also has "eddo".

Is "edda" an alternative version of "eddo"? Perhaps, but it's intriguing that I couldn't find any confirmation from an independent source. I've actually written to WordNet asking them if they could possibly have made a slip. I don't know whether I'll get a reply, but anyhow, I'd prefer to leave "edda" in the pending file for now, unless you have any additional information.

Both "eddo" and its plural "eddoes" are already Chihuahua words.

As for "argel", there the situation seems a little clearer. I couldn't actually see a dictionary entry for it anywhere, but there are Web pages that demonstrate the word is used for a medicinal plant indigenous to Africa, so I'll go along with that suggestion.
Alan Walker

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2007, 09:12:08 PM »
Alan - could we include the word 'nustle' - to fondle, cherish?  Sweet word - I think it deserves inclusion, what say you?

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2007, 12:11:34 AM »
Alan -

What about "custode" (v.) - as doing custodial work. Not nearly as cute as nustle, tho.

Cheers,
 ;D
3-B
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 12:21:43 AM by biggerbirdbrain »