Author Topic: Word suggestion: eaves  (Read 525 times)

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Word suggestion: eaves
« on: October 24, 2021, 01:41:52 AM »
Yes, grammatically it is a plural, but so are "odds" and "pants" and many others which are accepted by Chi. I don't think I've ever comes across "eave" in the singular, so I suggest "eaves" should be accepted, probably even as common.

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Word suggestion: eaves
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 08:22:24 AM »
Actually, eave is accepted as a common word.  It comes up from time to time.  So, eaves is not accepted because of the plurals rule.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »
I interpreted John's post as an argument that "eaves" should not be subject to the plural rule.
Regards, Jack

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 12:37:17 PM »
This suggestion has already been made, in 2012 by mkenuk.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 01:29:45 PM »
You’re still ruminating on it Alan? If you do make a ruling, no one will call it hasty!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 01:46:43 PM »
Alan is an Ent in that regard...  :D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 02:09:30 PM »
This is, actually, the oldest outstanding request on my list.

But for a long time I've shied away from changing anything that relates to the plurals issue. MK suggested that eaves could be treated the same way as throes - the plural as a common word and the singular as rare. But that approach has caused concerns for some forumites. If you're able to play the singular word you may well assume the plural is not playable, and would be infuriated to discover the next day that it was playable and common. I feel that it may be better to leave things be, rather than risk making them worse.

So there's quite a backlog of plural-related suggestions that I've been avoiding for some years.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 11:17:02 PM »
Actually, eave is accepted as a common word.  It comes up from time to time.  So, eaves is not accepted because of the plurals rule.

Thanks. I don't play the "4-letter" games so often, which could explain why I've never seen it. That said, I've been trying to come up with  a sentence using "eave" in the singular and to be honest I'm stumped!

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 03:49:14 AM »
I've been trying to come up with  a sentence using "eave" in the singular and to be honest I'm stumped!

1871   J. Tyndall Forms of Water §37. 258   The water trickles to the eave and then drops down.

(courtesy OED)