Author Topic: Glyph and Polytheism  (Read 496 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Glyph and Polytheism
« on: October 18, 2021, 04:43:15 PM »
Two apparently common words I’ve recently missed. Polytheism was the seed word two days ago in the ten letter puzzle.
I suppose I should have got it from a process of elimination, but gee whiz, I’ve never heard anyone say it, to my knowledge I’ve never read the word so on the average man in the street/pub test, it’s a far cry from common.

And as for glyph, again another word I drew a blank on in yesterday’s standard game. Hieroglyph is about as close as I’ve come to the word.
I’m not having a big whinge just having a muse. More words to add to my vocabulary!!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Glyph and Polytheism
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 09:55:17 PM »
I agree readily that glyph isn't common. It has a few meanings, but it seems to be used almost entirely in quite technical contexts. It will be treated as rare from now on.

But the idea of polytheism being rare surprises me a little. I would have thought most people would have come across terms like polytheism (belief in multiple gods), monotheism (belief in one god), atheism (belief in no god), along with, perhaps pantheism (belief in god as embodied in the whole universe, or the acceptance of all gods from all religions) and plain old theism (any belief in one or more gods). All these words are currently treated as common, and I'm inclined to leave that situation as it is. Anyone have any comments?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 10:22:36 PM »
While it's not a word that crops up in everyday language I agree that it's a word that most people would know so should remain common. It wouldn't make any sense to have all the 'theisms' bar one as common.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:54:40 AM by pat »

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 01:14:36 AM »
FWIW. I've neither used polytheism nor seen it used...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 08:39:13 AM »
Wow given the status of the EAVES discussion, I’m thrilled to have a change on GLYPH from common to rare so quickly!

As for POLYTHEISM, as I said, I should have found it through a process of elimination, so if it stays common then that’s cool too.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 10:30:31 AM »
I’ve used polytheism before and no doubt will again, in discussion about different belief systems… Not every day! but am familiar enough with it and the other -theisms to think it merits common status. If that makes sense.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 11:19:05 AM »
Although I have never studied Greek and can’t remember using Polytheism in conversation, I was quite familiar with it.  I would have thought that general reading would have given most forumites (who almost by definition have more interest in words and etymology than the average man in the street) a working knowledge of Greek and Latin roots.

So my comment is Polytheism should remain common.
Regards, Jack

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 02:37:20 PM »
I'll leave polytheism as a common word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites