Author Topic: 'PONGO' Tree  (Read 21509 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: 'PONGO' Tree
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2007, 10:18:14 PM »
Blimey Binks,
that was short and concise....you have caught the VIRAL infection from VIRAL....
Thanks though...i  think i will give up with them, to save any more money and disappointment. I will plant a clematis there instead. Or i may give one a whirl in a pot...
 :angel:

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2007, 02:06:42 PM »
hi Binks - have attached photo (i hope) in case it helps to identify problem -what should i do about soil?

T - re wisteria - we had the opposite problem - planted one many years ago which went absolutely berserk - one day the neighbours behind the back lane and about 4 houses along came in to see me and asked me to come and look at their bathroom, and there was our naughty wisteria clambering up through their bathroom floor - very embarrassing - had to chop it down, buts its little off springs still come up in neighbours yard every now and then - we did nothing to help it - mainly we ignored it and occasionally chopped it back furiously - it's put me off wisterias somewhat.

Also - you must be looking at a different cycad T - nothing at all rude looking about our little Psycho - its a bit prickly but that's just part of its nature
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 02:09:49 PM by Viz »
Viz

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2007, 02:16:07 PM »
Viz.....is it in a small pot, sitting in a larger one? If so, it looks like it needs repotting into a much larger size. This is probably a good time of year to do it, when it's not putting out new growth. If you get potting mix that contains fertilizer (the cheap ones have nothing at all) then you won't have to feed it for a couple of months.
Hope this helps.....if it doesn't....well, all care but no responsibility taken!

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2007, 02:20:52 PM »
thanks binks - shall try that next week and keep you posted on its future health and wellbeing
Viz

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2007, 02:45:30 PM »
Please do.....although if it dies, I'm not sure that I want you to tell me!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2007, 02:36:33 AM »
I liked your story Viz...very funny...
I wish that was a problem i had...i might check out the soil...
As for the rude cycad....well the large male flowering ones that i have seen look exactly like large males....both erect and not.... :o ...as i say, very rude....but they give off nitrogen, and like lots of it...so when you repot try nitrogen rich compost...
Hope it works for you....

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2007, 04:49:20 AM »
We had the same problem with a wisteria. It practically strangled a rather large tree and had to be dealt with. The only thing that seemed to have any effect was Roundup, which is a particularly nasty pesticide, and it took repeated applications to make a dent. We have a small wisteria creeper on the side of this current house, but it's pruned regularly to keep it subordinant.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2007, 04:54:36 AM »
My Mum has got 3 beautiful ones, including a fragrant white one. It must be my soil.
I will try again!!