Author Topic: Word Suggestion(s): 2 words  (Read 457 times)

KatKall

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Word Suggestion(s): 2 words
« on: September 20, 2021, 02:09:20 AM »
I was surprised to play some of the 7-by-many puzzles and that "nicen" didn't seem to count. Both are listed in the Wiktionary, which I understand is the dictionary used for this game? The former word may have become accepted since I've posted this, but the latter always gives me the "Sorry, 'nicen' is not a word" message. I've not only heard it in speech for decades, but it's a pretty common verb. The usage I have read and heard express the idea of "nicen(ing) up" something (usually a room or home, but I've also seen it in the context of adjusting a person's behavior.) "Nicen up" is actually listed in the Wiktionary as the term "nicen" is derived from. Can this word be added?

Also, I cannot seem to get "pappa" accepted, despite it also being considered a noun that is a synonym for "dad, papa," etc. "Mamma" is accepted (as is Mama, if it's not the 7-by-many, so 4 letters are accepted), but I cannot seem to get "pappa" accepted. These are both common variations of the same words that simply are spelled without the double consonants in the middle.

guyd

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Re: Word Suggestion(s): 2 words
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 02:55:59 PM »
Hi KatKall

Chi uses many dictionaries and word sources, not just Wiktionary. Its occasional quirkiness is part of the challenge!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 02:36:31 PM »
These days I follow the rule of thumb that a word that's in any general dictionary will be accepted and a word that isn't in any dictionary will be rejected. However, I reserve the right to break this rule where I consider it necessary. In regard to the suggestions of nicen and pappa, I'm breaking the rule in both directions.

Yes nicen is in Wiktionary as a stand-alone word, in addition to the expression nicen up. But I don't think people use nicen without the up. I'm not convinced nicen is actually a word in its own right.

On the other hand pappa doesn't seem to be in any dictionary, except in the OED, where it's listed as an alternate spelling for papa and some other words. But plenty of people use this spelling. It's in the titles of many children's books, such as Where are Pappa's Glasses? (2022), by Barb Taylor.

So I'll add pappa as a rare word, but I decline to accept nicen.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 10:59:13 AM »
Seem like two good calls to me.