Author Topic: new words?  (Read 6472 times)

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
new words?
« on: July 22, 2007, 02:41:02 PM »
What about clipart?
Viz

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Re: new words?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 02:47:05 PM »
Good point! Surely that's part of the language these days. (wish I'd thought of it, though presumably it was rejected!)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 02:51:32 PM »
Speaking of words- (yesterday's puzzle) since when was "veep" a common word? Is it very American, or am I just behind the times, not knowing that it is used to describe a Vice-president?

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 03:12:08 PM »
Talking of new words, what about the mildly offensive "crip"?  According to our friendly online dictionary, in addition to the obvious derogatory meaning it also has a sense of "something easily accomplished" in (presumably American) slang... I'm surprised it wasn't accepted because there is normally nothing prudish about this word list!

Cheers,

Dave
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 03:20:35 PM »
To be honest, Dave, I've never heard the word, either in a derogatory sense or otherwise. I agree with you about the lack of prudishness on the site....there are times when I positively blush at some of the words I enter!

macca

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 03:51:45 PM »
I would have to admit that i have never heard it before either. & i would have to say on most days i also seem to get the more trickier uncommon words first before the more easy every day words. Good feeling to know im not the only one ;D

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 03:57:17 PM »
what does it mean - is it an abreviation of cripple?
Viz

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 05:12:44 PM »
crip  (krp)
n.
1. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person or animal that is partially disabled or unable to use a limb or limbs.
2. Slang Something that is easily accomplished, especially an undemanding academic course.
[Short for cripple.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

As I worked in disability service administration at federal level for years, the term is all too familiar!

Cheers,

Dave
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 06:41:45 PM »
Clipart is in a similar situation to plugin, that we considered a while ago. Dictionaries seem to list it as two words, without giving the one-word form as an alternative. Yet there are enormous numbers of Web pages that write it as clipart, so it seems the dictionaries are behind the usage trends. I think it should be admitted to our list.

I think veep is definitely an American usage. It seems to come up fairly frequently in US magazine articles about presidential election campaigning, but it's also used for company vice-presidents. You raise an interesting point, Binkie, about the "common" designation of the word. I think if a word is little used in most English-speaking countries, it probably shouldn't be rated as common, even if it is quite common in the most populous English-speaking country, the US. So probably veep ought to be classed as rare. Similarly, if a word is all but unknown in the US, it probably shouldn't be classed as common, no matter how widely used it might be in England or other places. I'd be interested to see what forumites from various parts of the world think about this.

(I wouldn't always apply the same reasoning to differences in the spelling of words that are used everywhere - I think it's probably fair enough that odor and odour are both treated as common.)

I was only vaguely aware of the word crip, and thought of it as an American term, which is backed up by some entries in Oxford Dictionaries that label it as chiefly North American. Perhaps it's spread to Australia in recent years.

I don't remember hearing the word in Australia when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s. I was born with one leg considerably shorter than the other, and I've always worn a bulky built-up boot. As a boy, I did occasionally get called names by other boys, but I don't recall that crip was one of them.

Anyhow, as the word is in some dictionaries, it should be allowed in Chihuahua. Maybe some day we should have a discussion about the question of "offensive" words, but at present we make no attempt to exclude words that might give offense, and I'm fairly strongly of the view that this is the right approach.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 07:26:32 PM »
Alan:

I think that if clipart is acceptable, then veep should be too.

When you first saw the word, did you not know what it meant? It's been used here for decades!! Why would you reject it?

There are words that Aussies and Brits use that are so common to you guys, which then you feel are common -- like DOSSER, for instance -- even though we here in the US NEVER heard of them, or just by chance. So why would then reverse the rule for us, when, as you said, the US is far more populous? Just sounds a bit skewed, in my humble opinion.

As you said, it is also widely known that dictionaries are notoriously slow to accept words already in the vernacular for very long periods of time.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 01:51:15 AM by biggerbirdbrain »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 11:21:30 AM »
Threeb, I'm trying to come up with an approach that is not skewed. That's why I said:

Similarly, if a word is all but unknown in the US, it probably shouldn't be classed as common, no matter how widely used it might be in England or other places.

Going by this guideline, dosser probably also should be removed from the common word category, and no doubt quite a few other words. (Years ago I read Maigret and the Dosser, a translation of Maigret et le Clochard. Apparently the same book was also published as Maigret and the Bum, presumably for the US market. I can find no record of Maigret and the Dero, for Australians.)

What do others think?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 12:45:20 PM »
Even though I moan and groan about so-called common words that I've not come across before, I can't say that I'm really upset by them.  It's interesting to hear how and where they're used by others. Seems to me that our vocabularies are being enlarged daily, even if it's only with slang expressions!  I'd have thought that most Chillers would be avid readers, and therefore have encountered many of the terms in print, if not in real life.
Threeb......you'll simply have to start watching more Aussie TV, if there is any over there. Failing that, there are a number of Aussie slang sites!

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~enigman/australia/slang.html
http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

There you are....a couple to be going on with. ;D ;D ;D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 12:51:31 PM »
Bless you, Binks! I'm sure if I apply myself studiously -- barring fatigue, laziness or stupidity -- it will help me out quite a bit.

You are so sweet to help! Other US players can also benefit. Although, tonite, it's nearly 10 p.m., so I'll browse through and keep this in mind for future reference!

:angel: