Author Topic: pressurise uncommon?  (Read 304 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
pressurise uncommon?
« on: September 08, 2021, 04:11:00 PM »
re yesterday's purifies 7bm game

pressurise was played by just under 50% of those playing this game (154 from 339) Even spies had only a few more hits (163)
The word itself is hardly unknown - you hear it in the pre-flight announcements every time you are on an aircraft - 'The air in the cabin is pressurized......'
I know the trend these days is to spell such words with an ...ize ending, but I rather had the feeling that Chi gave both forms equal status. Surely pressurize is not also 'rare'??

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: pressurise uncommon?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 04:26:06 PM »
I thought the same. Is there a process of having rare words reclassified as common, rather than vice versa?

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 05:49:20 PM »
Rare words can be reclassified as common - a fairly recent example was selfie, which, like most new arrivals started its life in Chi's Lexicon as 'rare' but was inevitably 'upped' after a while.
Perhaps we might pressurize /pressurise Alan into doing the same here......
 ;D

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 09:28:56 PM »
...and, if he fails to meet our demands, we could repressurise him though that would apparently be unknown...  :-R :-R :-R
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)