Author Topic: GLASNOST  (Read 886 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
GLASNOST
« on: September 03, 2021, 04:23:58 PM »
G'day Alan, i know that there has been some informal discussion about glasnost & that you, Mike & others have made it clear that the word is very familiar to yourselves, historians & those who follow worldwide politics & have a good memory.
None the less, i would ask that you focus on the regular chi formula to consider reclassifying glasnost as a rare word & no longer allow it as a seed word.
In a similar vein, i would also like to challenge the status of fatwa.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: GLASNOST
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 04:35:46 PM »
I don't want to make a big issue of it, but we often talk about 'common' words being those familiar to well-read, educated native speakers of English. Most people who know anything of the history of the twentieth century will know the key points - two world wars, the fall of the European empires, the rise of the USA and the USSR as the world's two 'superpowers', the cold war and its conclusion.
'Glasnost' and 'perestroika' are as much a part of that as 'Blitzkrieg' and 'Gestapo' were of World War II

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 04:38:37 PM »
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 04:58:40 PM »
So sorry Alan, i failed to do a search.
What do you think about fatwa?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 06:25:46 PM »
So sorry Alan, i failed to do a search.

Les, you shouldn't have needed to do a search. I posted my response on glasnost only four days ago. Don't you read all my posts??!!
Alan Walker

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 09:27:20 PM »
No.
However i do skim over all of your posts but only read in detail those that interest me.
When glasnost was raised in the 7bm thread my only comment was that i had never heard of the word.
Even though (& i did consider it) no challenge was submitted, you chose to reclassify the word.
Consequently, i have skimmed over your post of four days ago with little interest & quickly forgotten about it as i had not raised any challenge.
It was only when fatwa came up today that i remembered that i never did challenge glasnost so i thought that i would take the opportunity to challenge both words & that resulted in my post today.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 12:41:18 PM »
G'day Alan, just want to apologise for mucking up that glasnost post, i will be more attentive in the future.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 04:36:48 PM »
In this topic, Les requested a review of the common status of fatwa. There hasn't been any discussion of this one, and I'd be interested to know what people think. I'm inclined to think the word is fairly common. It certainly appears in the news a lot more often than glasnost.

The question is, do players know this word?
Alan Walker

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 05:01:04 PM »
In my reading, I am quite familiar with both Fatwa and Glasnost.  I can't remember using them in casual conversation but that might just reflect the people I talk to. :D
Regards, Jack

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 05:45:15 PM »
I know both fatwa and glasnost but didn't get either when I needed them! I'd keep fatwa as common but think glasnost was becoming dated, especially in Belarus!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 07:51:44 AM »
Chiming in late on this topic, but...

I remember the term glasnost but haven't heard it in years. I'd forgotten what it meant.

Fatwa has made a more common appearance in recent years in political contexts, starting with that against Salmon Rusdie's The Stanic Verses, technically not a fatwa, but probably the first time the word came to the attention of most Americans. The word came even more to public notice with the following: "A famous example is the fatwa issued in 1998 by Osama bin Laden and four of his associates, proclaiming "jihad against Jews and Crusaders" and calling for killing of American civilians."  - Wikipedia.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 10:33:52 AM »
I agree with Yelnats - fatwa common, glasnost not.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 12:33:08 PM »
Both fatwa and glasnost I would consider reasonably well known - not sure if they reach the threshold of common though...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 02:47:16 PM »
I think fatwa is sufficiently widely known that it should continue as a common word.
Alan Walker