Author Topic: Encomium common?  (Read 447 times)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Encomium common?
« on: September 02, 2021, 06:30:44 PM »
Found by just 7% of players in yesterday's 10 letter puzzle.  Definitely not common in my view.  Wouldn't have got it in a million years!

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Encomium common?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 07:47:25 PM »
Agreed - hi Alan - when you get a chance could you please review the status of ENCOMIUM and WORKFARE from common to rare?
Many thanks
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 08:13:02 PM »
I second those comments...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 08:28:01 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if its plural form encomia were also lurking somewhere in Chi's 'common' lexicon. A lot of these words have been around since the game started, they appear once in a blue moon and if no-one queries them, they remain until the next time.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 01:48:11 PM »
Not a word that would come tripping off the tip of my tongue, but certainly one that I know. I wouldn't say the same for encomia..

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 05:30:32 PM »
Encomium was certainly played by very few. That could partly be just because it's a hard word to think of, even for those who know the word. (I know the word but didn't play it. But then again, I missed a lot of words in that puzzle, like coin and coup and memo.)

I found 2467 instances of encomium and encomiums in the News on the Web corpus. But then I realised that most of these (1722) were from Nigerian publications. It seems the Nigerians just love this word! For example, from the Nigerian daily Blueprint on the 1st of this month:

Former President of the Senate, Senator David Mark, has showered encomium on his friend and associate, Senator Jonathan Tunde Ogbeha, who turned 74 on Wednesday (1/9/21).

Nevertheless the word is used elsewhere in the world. The New York Post, a Murdoch tabloid not generally considered highbrow, in May this year said:

America has never been bashful about honoring those who die in its service. What is arguably the most eloquent encomium to war dead in the English language — Abraham Lincoln’s 270-word address at the Gettysburg battlefield in November 1863 — set an enduring standard.

The Wiktionary entry for the word has several usage examples, including from the writer of Westerns, Zane Grey:

"I never seen their like," was Lassiter's encomium, "an' in my day I've seen a sight of horses."

On the other hand, the OneLook dictionary site reveals that the word is listed by several sites that focus on extremely obscure words: Hutchinson's Dictionary of Difficult Words; The Phrontistery - A Dictionary of Obscure Words; Luciferous Logolepsy; and Worthless Word For The Day.

I'll have to concede that encomium is not sufficiently common, so it will be treated as rare in future. The plural encomia was already rare.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites