Author Topic: Tuesday 31st August 7-by-many DAYTIME puzzle  (Read 432 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Tuesday 31st August 7-by-many DAYTIME puzzle
« on: September 01, 2021, 03:20:36 PM »
METADATA – anyone who hasn’t been living under a rock will know that tech companies are harvesting this…

…and governments are forcing ISPs to keep it as well…
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday 31st August 7-by-many DAYTIME puzzle
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 04:34:13 PM »
I'd also suggest MEMED (and by extension MEMING) as ''to meme' is becoming increasingly common as a verb, as well as a noun.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 08:47:17 PM »
I am with you on metadata.
I don't know much about IT, but I do know that when downloading a file there first has to be a metadata download describing to the receiver the data in that file.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 01:58:02 PM »
Woefully technologically ignorant, but I certainly have seen the word metadata used frequently in recent times.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 02:02:44 PM »
Metadata has been around for a few decades as a technical term, but it came into wider use over the past ten years or so in connection with the scope of government access to records of phone calls and online activities. Judging by the News on the Web corpus the usage frequency of the word is uneven around the world. For example the frequency of use in Australian news stories is 2.7 times that in Britain - presumably due to media coverage of Australian government schemes to snoop on us.

The word may be verging on common status, but I'll add it as a rare word for now.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 02:14:30 PM »
Jancsika's suggestion of allowing for meme being used as a verb is backed up by the online Oxford and Wiktionary. It's main meaning is to turn something into a meme (in the current social media sense of the word meme, rather than Richard Dawkins' original idea). An early example is from ABC News in the US in 2010:

But this was a parody -- if there was anything I'd love to see a celebrity do when they get memed, is somehow set a legal precedent that this kind of parody is fine.

Memed and meming will be accepted as rare words.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 02:31:26 PM »
Thanks Alan...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)