Author Topic: new research topics?  (Read 5220 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
new research topics?
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:20:38 PM »
My wife and I are the type who cannot look up a single word in a dictionary or look up one topic in an encyclopedia.  We find so much interesting stuff that we always end up with at least a dozen new words or at least as many interesting topics.

Question for fellow pups:  Is this a common trait?

Also, suggested word and topic for further research: Cyser (type of mead, made from honey and apples).

Cheers!
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: new research topics?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 05:42:52 PM »
Hi there 'A non' + significant other,

Such dedication..
Such commitment..
such devotion..
such a sad thing to read.. :(
...Another 'Chi' fan who spends too much time slaving over the hot well-thumbed pages of a dictionary [& encyclopedia] all because of this game...

I have read, and heard, just recently in fact, that there are cinemas and theatres and restaurants and pubs and bowling alleys and dance classes...in fact hundreds of things..just a few minutes walk away from where i live...
How long have they been there????      I wasn't aware of this...

..and i have decided that i may actually attempt..albeit gingerly and with trepidation...to leave my keyboard and my dictionary just for a short while..and venture out of my house during non-work hours, to see if this vile rumour is true.

Who knows..there may be life away from the 'Chi'..?

Perhaps you should try it too.. :-\     [and not a moment too soon..if i might say!]

the best of luck..to you both, on the great adventure that is 'a life'. I will keep you in my prayers!

Technomc  ;D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 06:10:34 PM »
Hey Technomc, now you're making me feel guilty!

Well, not really of course, since ensnaring people like you was all part of my master plan, to establish world domination by Chi-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 08:46:11 PM »
If we must be sacrificed at the altar of the great CHI, then we go willingly. I always knew there was more to this scheme than met the eye, Oh-pupmeister, and yet, I have been drawn into your cunning web and have thus become ensnared.

I, for one, pledge to follow thee down the road to lexiconic bliss, even if it be madness.

Fealty forever!
 ;)
B-B-B

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 10:11:29 AM »
An interesting point here is the difference between using a dictionary in traditional book form and using a computer-based (desktop or online) dictionary.

I think the book has much more scope to take you off on unexpected detours. Firstly, while you are looking for the right page, you see all sorts of other intriguing words listed at the top of the page. And then, when you find your word, it's surrounded by lots of other fascinating entries. To me, this serendipity is one of the delights of using a good dictionary.

When you look up a word on the computer, on the other hand, you type in the word and up pops its definition, or not, as the case may be. The Free Dictionary site that you can go to by clicking on a word in Chihuahua tries to reproduce some of the book experience by listing, further down the page, the words alphabetically surrounding the word you looked up, but it's not really the same.

So in this respect, I feel the computer loses out to the book, although in other ways, Web browsing and search engines have an enormous capacity to take you off on weird and wonderful byways of knowledge.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 11:10:28 AM »
I agree a dictionary in bookform is best for taking you on a learning journey.  I love looking up a word, then looking up one of the definitions and then another and seeing how far you can go from the meaning of the original word.

However, where the computer dictionaries come into their own is the comprehensiveness of words.  We have quite a number of dictionaries at our place but there are often words that are not in any of them. However I can usually find what I am looking for somewhere on the net.

I just love books of all sorts and my husband (not a reader - but does occasionally get involved with me on Chi) is always wanting me to offload some books.  I however just love knowing that there is usually a book available that I can find with some information about a current item of interest.

Something that amazes me is the number of combinations of letters that could be words but aren't! :)

Gaye
   :)