Author Topic: hyphens - again!  (Read 489 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
hyphens - again!
« on: August 11, 2021, 03:23:48 PM »
Consider three words from yesterday's 7-by-many game disposing

sing-song - hyphenated in COD - 'common' in Chi
ding-dong - hyphenated in COD - 'rare' in Chi
ping-pong - hyphenated in COD - 'sorry not known' in Chi

There would seem to be neither rhyme nor reason to it.
My suggestion, one I've made before, is to ignore hyphens completely and allow any word that is shown unhyphenated in any authoritative dictionary.
Any other suggestions?

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: hyphens - again!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 05:16:57 PM »
Consider three words from yesterday's 7-by-many game disposing

sing-song - hyphenated in COD - 'common' in Chi
ding-dong - hyphenated in COD - 'rare' in Chi
ping-pong - hyphenated in COD - 'sorry not known' in Chi

There would seem to be neither rhyme nor reason to it.
My suggestion, one I've made before, is to ignore hyphens completely and allow any word that is shown unhyphenated in any authoritative dictionary.
Any other suggestions?

I missed singsong in yesterday's 7-by-many but as for there being no rhyme to sing-song, ding-dong and ping-pong, I'd have to suggest they rhyme very well...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 06:56:27 PM »
On COUNTDOWN in the UK Dr Susie Dent, the lexicographer, tells us the hyphen is on its way out and many words that used to be hyphenated no longer are.
Perhaps we should follow Mikes suggestion as he is the nearest thing to a lexicographer we have in Chi.
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 10:04:35 PM »
Mike, I presume when you say, "allow any word that is shown unhyphenated in any authoritative dictionary", you mean either hyphenated or unhyphenated?

When the 6th edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (SOD) came out in 2007 there was considerable interest in the fact that thousands of hyphens had been dropped. In that dictionary singsong is given as a single word, with the hyphenated version as an alternative, while ding-dong is listed with the hyphen, but with the single-word form as an option. However, ping-pong is shown only in the hyphenated form. (Although it says it's a proprietary name in the US, written with a capital P at the start - I never knew that.)

At the time this dictionary came out, Ben Zimmer wrote an interesting blog post on the OUP site about the evolution of hyphenated words, and some of the reasons hyphens are retained. The trend to drop hyphens from many compound words is not new: he quotes Keats writing to-day and to-morrow, saying, "Those hyphens are long gone, and I doubt anyone misses them."

The thing is, I'm not sure what problem we're trying to solve. There are many dictionaries, and I dare say no two of them have an identical collection of entries. The words acceptable in Chihuahua are those included in the Chihuahua lexicon. It's easy to find out whether a word is in that lexicon by trying to play it. If a player wants to set themselves the challenge of achieving a high score with a 100% hit rate, good luck to them. But if you could find out in advance whether any particular word is allowed by looking it up in an "authoritative" dictionary, the challenge would evaporate. Maintaining a 100% hit rate would become a tedious clerical chore. Or am I missing something?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 10:52:32 AM »
Yes, I think I was just having a bit of a 'mini-rant' (a 'rantette'?) at what I perceived to be a lack of consistency in how Chi decides what words are common /rare/not allowed.
I'm not particularly bothered about keeping a 100% hit rate (hitrate? / hit-rate?) - my typing skills are too bad for that to be a consideration - and still less am I interested in playing 'common words only'. However, I do admit to feeling a bit peeved when what I imagine to be a perfectly good word gets the 'sorry not known' / thumbs down response.

Just to give one example; reading the BBC this morning on the situation in Afghanistan - they talk about the Taliban and their 'hardline' approach to the imposition of Sharia law. The word 'hardline' has just been 'squiggly red-lined'' in this post. A glance at COD shows it gives 'hard line' (two words) although the entry also has 'hardliner' as one word.

So, I suppose if the word hardline becomes playable in a future Chi-game (not the 7-by many, of course; there are eight different letters) I should simply play it and, if it's rejected. allow myself the luxury of a few choice expletives before typing another whinge to the Forum.

Ah well, c'est la vie

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 11:35:14 AM by mkenuk »