Author Topic: Wednesday 28th July 7-by-many FORAGING puzzle  (Read 694 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Wednesday 28th July 7-by-many FORAGING puzzle
« on: July 29, 2021, 03:00:59 PM »
Only a couple of complaints today  ;) - both of these were unknown...

ROGAINING – sport similar to orienteering (I did try ROGAIN but the sport has an E on the end so that was my bad...)
GARING - an idol; a graven image or representation of anything that is revered, or believed to convey spiritual power. a doll; a toy in the form of a human
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wednesday 28th July 7-by-many FORAGING puzzle
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 04:29:34 PM »
The problem with garing is that we only allow words from the English language. The word, with the meanings you list, are from Cebuano, a language spoken in the southern Philippines.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 07:30:16 PM »
WHAT!!!

Only words from the English language! A bit parochial don't you think...  ;) lol
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 08:08:07 PM »
The problem with garing is that we only allow words from the English language. The word, with the meanings you list, are from Cebuano, a language spoken in the southern Philippines.

How about if I change the meaning to: A furrow or row in that part of an irregularly shaped field or garden which forms a gare or gore. Also spelled gareing. from The Century Dictionary.

;) ;) ;) I do try which is why people find me so trying...

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 09:39:16 PM »
That's a little better.
Alan Walker

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 05:12:24 PM »
Rogaining and the related term rogaine are listed in the online Oxford and in Wiktionary.

The words are almost exclusively used in Australia and New Zealand. (Rogaine is also a proprietary name for a pharmaceutical, but as it's capitalized that's of no interest to us.) As explained in Wikipedia:

Rogaining is an orienteering sport of long distance cross-country navigation, involving both route planning and navigation between checkpoints using a variety of map types.

A rogaine is a rogaining event. The word was constructed from the initial letters of the given names of the three people who started it: Rod, Gail and Neil.

Rogaining and rogaine will be accepted in future as rare words.
Alan Walker

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 06:32:13 PM »
Wow! Thanks for that Alan; you learn something new every day - I can go to bed tonight with a clear conscience. Thanks must also go to the eponymous Rod, Gail and Neil...  ;D ;D ;D

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 08:03:48 PM »
Thanks Alan and RTT. I think I once tried rogaining and just accepted it was too parochial when it was rejected.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 04:09:23 PM »
Garing? no.
Alan Walker