Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 130522 times)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #2850 on: April 05, 2023, 07:17:56 AM »
Well done, HJ. This is quite an achievement on the 7-by-many. I didn't grow up with the word chuffed, and I'm still trying to reconcile to myself that it means the opposite of what my impression was when I first saw it.

As for my own game, not finding yucca was no laughing matter.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: April 05, 2023, 08:16:10 AM »
Well, don’t I feel SILICA?

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2852 on: April 05, 2023, 02:14:24 PM »
Twenty eight common words made for a well populated rosetteer list led off by auntiemo with dragonman, Maudland, ozzys June and Jack and yours truly all extracting the common words from the seed letters… Great work!!! 👏👏👏

With twenty seven common words in their kitbags, 2dognight and Roddles had just one outstanding word making them rosettenears…

On twenty six commons we have blackrockrose who has become two short as a result…

Meanwhile rogue_mother and Jancsika found twenty five making them three off the mark just one ahead of yelnats who uncovered twenty four…

Next was vizal on twenty two with Scouser1952 rounding out our active 7beamer crew on fifteen with doxydaisy remaining in the MIA category…

Mavenhood requires fifty eight words total with rogue_mother, dragonman*, ozzyjack*, yours truly* and Roddles having the wherewithal to take off this prize… Good job!!! 😎😎😎 As per usual, the asterisks signify double dignity… 🎉🎉🎉
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #2853 on: April 05, 2023, 05:20:24 PM »
Karate was my erratum. Make that errata.

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: April 06, 2023, 03:17:30 AM »
3 errata for me. With karat I was weighed down by the American spelling handicap, but if I tried to find such an excuse for aerate I'd be blowing in the wind...

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2855 on: April 06, 2023, 02:24:27 PM »
A score of a score common words will reward you with a rosette today with our rosetteers being Jancsika, 2dognight, dragonman, Roddles, auntiemo and ozzys Jack and June – well done you all!!! 👏👏👏

With nineteen of those twenty commons, we have yelnats and Maudland – which word was it that stole your rosette from you???

I joined blackrockrose on eighteen commons making us two two short and putting us into ballerina territory… For me, being a ballerina is just too DROLL; so much so that I can only say that in a DROLLY way…

On sweet sixteen today we find rogue_mother and Scouser1952 while, a further two words back, we have vizal on fourteen… MIA is still doxydaisy… 😯😯😯

With maven scores starting at twenty nine words, it seems like dragonman* isn’t content with mavenhood and he decided to go for cham!!! 🙏🙏🙏 For the rest of us mere mortals, mavenhood was enough with 2dognight*, Roddles*, ozzys Jack* and June*, auntiemo*, blackrockrose, yours truly and Maudland all up for that maven score – good work!!! 😎😎😎 As per usual, the asterisks signify double dignity… 🎉🎉🎉
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: April 07, 2023, 12:36:18 AM »
3 errata for me. With karat I was weighed down by the American spelling handicap, but if I tried to find such an excuse for aerate I'd be blowing in the wind...

? ? ?

The words karat and carat refer to two different things.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: April 07, 2023, 08:42:54 AM »
Yelnats and I had a DUOPOLY on being rosettenears (can I say that?)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: April 07, 2023, 09:09:14 AM »

As best I can tell from Google, karat, which refers to the percentage of gold in an alloy, is widely in the United States but is also used by jewelry vendors in other parts of the world, perhaps not as often as carat. In the United States, carat is generally restricted to the weight of gemstones. One can find jewelry vendors located in Britain and Australia that refer to 18K gold, so the usage is not unknown. I do see that carat seems to be widely used outside the U.S.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: April 07, 2023, 09:57:51 AM »
Perhaps a dollop of drool could be a droll commentary on the idea that duopoly is common.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2860 on: April 07, 2023, 02:24:22 PM »
As is often the case, this high common word count (sixty two) puzzle resulted in few rosettes (seven overall from three hundred and forty three players) and none from our group of 7beamers… 😥😥😥

Recouping some pride for us was auntiemo who managed to extract a rosettenear for herself by finding sixty one of those commons…

Three of our number, rogue_mother, dragonman and ozzyjune, were three off the mark on fifty nine and were ever so closely followed by 2dognight on fifty eight…

Jancsika was next on fifty five with blackrockrose close behind him on fifty four while I was just one behind her on fifty three… The WITTIEST of comedy trio sat with his SWEETIE on the SETTEE while the BITTEREST of the other two BESTREW them with the TRITEST of comments and the other bestowed them with the WRIEST of observations of the damage a single TSETSE could do even during the WETTEST of summers…

Next, on fifty two was yelnats while vizal found an even fifty, Scouser1952 eighteen and doxydaisy was joined by Maudland, ozzyjack and Roddles as MIA…

One hundred and one words was a high water mark for mavenhood with only rogue_mother and dragonman from our coterie able to rise to the occasion… Great work!!! 😎😎😎

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: April 07, 2023, 02:32:41 PM »
An example of the word which cost me the rosette.....Bestrew it, too, with a chopped anchovy or two, or more, if you are fond of anchovies.  :-R
Don't think I have ever used it in a sentence....but I know the word!!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: April 08, 2023, 08:33:03 AM »
The words karat and carat refer to two different things.

Quote from: Facebook going one better

[YOU MAY HAVE TO SEEK THE DEFINITIONS OF SEVERAL OF THE WORDS TO "GET" THE PUN] A rabbi was teaching a literature class about King Midas. After getting his wish, each item of food he touched turned to gold. Finally, only one cake (made from the daucus carota vegetable) was left. Yet, when Midas touched it, the cake also turned to gold.  He was so hungry that he tried to eat it anyway.  After devouring half, he dropped dead. "And so," the rabbi concluded, "Midas seems to have died from a karat carrot karet."

Regards, Jack

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: April 08, 2023, 12:08:11 PM »
I could not become streetwise merely by going to a website; I had to visit many breweries.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2864 on: April 08, 2023, 02:18:19 PM »
Just two dozen common words resulted in a flood of rosetteers with 2dognight, Jancsika, dragonman, yours truly, rogue_mother, Maudland, ozzys June and Jack and auntiemo all complaining bitterly (in a whiny manner) about the seed word!!! 😉😉😉 (Personally, I have to admit I wouldn’t have got a rosette without having just tried kvetches without the k thinking it might just be a variation spelling when in fact it’s a completely different word!) Well done all!!! 👏👏👏

No rosettenears but yelnats, blackrockrose and Roddles found twenty two commons making them all two short…

Congrats, Scouser1952, on being twenty one today making you three off the mark and a single word ahead of vizal on a score of a score… MIA again was doxydaisy…

Mavenhood begins at thirty four words total and rogue_mother*, 2dognight*, dragonman*, yours truly* and auntiemo* all managed that task as well as being rosetteers!!! Excellent work!!! 😎😎😎🎉🎉🎉