Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 130557 times)

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #2730 on: March 06, 2023, 11:06:04 AM »
Guilty of mass distraction... :-R
Will try to refocus!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2731 on: March 06, 2023, 11:39:06 AM »
Guilty of mass distraction... :-R

Rather mass distraction than mass destruction... :-R :-R :-R
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: March 06, 2023, 01:55:32 PM »
The allure of an easy rosette had me imagining a laurel crown being placed on my head while I shouted, "alleluia", but my ferrule broke and I had to get a referral to a repairman.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2733 on: March 06, 2023, 03:52:02 PM »
How many of us have got almost all the common words before getting the seed word and, when we get it, find ourselves wondering how we could ever have missed it??? I was two words away from my rosette before overexpose jumped out and exposed itself to me!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A much better outcome, as far as rosetteers are concerned, in today’s twenty four common word puzzle with 2dognight leading off blackrockrose, dragonman, Roddles, auntiemo, ozzyjune, yours truly and ozzyjack in finding all those V words… Good work all!!! 👏👏👏

Missing that rosette by the skin of their teeth we have our rosettenears rogue_mother, yelnats, vizal, Jancsika and Maudland…

Next was Scouser1952 with thirteen commons while doxydaisy was again MIA…

Not content with mavenhood, dragonman*, vizal and I* decided cham was the way to go today by making sure we all had at least the answer to life, the universe and everything… 🏵️🏵️🏵️ Meanwhile, others were happy with having their mavenhood in hand with a minimum of twenty nine words with rogue_mother leading off ozzyjack*, auntiemo*, yelnats, Maudland, 2dognight*, blackrockrose*, Roddles*, ozzyjune* and Jancsika in this endeavour… Great effort to everyone involved… 😎😎😎 As per usual, the asterisks signify double dignity… 🎉🎉🎉
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #2734 on: March 06, 2023, 05:51:00 PM »
Vesper but not vespers! Sounds like a plural to me.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2735 on: March 06, 2023, 06:22:37 PM »
Vesper but not vespers! Sounds like a plural to me.

:angel: :angel: :angel: vespers is one of those exceptions that prove the rule...

You don't go to vesper, you go to vespers...  >:D >:D >:D

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: March 07, 2023, 02:14:10 AM »
I tried vesper, saw it was rare, so didn't even think to try vespers. I pray that one day I'll understand the plurals rule!

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: March 07, 2023, 10:22:38 AM »
Perhaps if I'd only persevere more, I would get more rosettes.

Over the years there has been a lot of discussion in the forum about plurals. As a very longtime player I've had the benefit of most of it. I probably didn't get vespers the first time I encountered it in a puzzle, but it's the sort of word I would remember. The same goes for matins, another canonical hour which I'm fairly certain is also common. This unsuccessful request to add lauds to the lexicon might shed a little more light on it. The canonical hour nones is in the lexicon, but it is not considered common.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: March 07, 2023, 11:47:50 AM »
How many of us have got almost all the common words before getting the seed word and, when we get it, find ourselves wondering how we could ever have missed it??? I was two words away from my rosette before overexpose jumped out and exposed itself to me!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Same here John - maybe that’s why I didn’t have the VERVE to find a rosette.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2739 on: March 07, 2023, 03:18:48 PM »
Another puzzle with over fifty (fifty one) common words meant there were only eight rosettes overall with none of our compatriots producing the goods to become rosetteers… ☹☹☹

2dognight was our only rosettenear with fifty of those common words and salvaged at least some of our honour…

With forty nine commons to their names, dragonman, rogue_mother, Maudland and ozzyjune all found themselves two short…

Meanwhile auntiemo, with forty eight commons, found herself three off the mark while blackrockrose and I were a further word back on forty seven… The BOBCAT driver, who was prone to singing ORATORIO while at work, commenced clearing the home site by bulldozing the ACACIA and CACTI…

Jancsika was next with forty one commons closely followed by yelnats on forty…

A further four words back we have vizal on thirty six while Scouser1952 had an even score…

Finally ozzyjack and Roddles found the seed word through a rather precarious acrobatic manoeuvre and then beat a hasty retreat which leaves just doxydaisy as our singular MIA…

In order to achieve your mavenhood today you had to have thirteen or less words shy of one hundred (eighty seven) and this task was achieved by rogue_mother and dragonman alone amongst our coterie… Well done both of you!!! 😎😎😎

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: March 07, 2023, 03:29:37 PM »
Whilst searching for the missing barrio, I forgot all about the ricotta which was sitting right in front of me!

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: March 07, 2023, 03:31:54 PM »
And I failed to hear the toccata, too

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: March 08, 2023, 12:19:56 PM »
In order to be a successful arbitrator, one should have a goodly supply of bicarb, presumably.

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: March 08, 2023, 03:02:07 PM »
Honest truth, there was a shutout because the lady golfers wanted to wear shorts!

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2744 on: March 08, 2023, 03:28:06 PM »
I was so excited when I saw treehouse because I thought I’d found the other common seed word, only to discover it was classified rare!!! 😐😐😐

Will you still need me, will you still feed me, if you got sixty four… Well, we’ll need to ask our rosetteers dragonman and rogue_mother about this as they were able to get there!!! Excellent work on being two out of only thirteen to do so!!! 👏👏👏

I was joined by auntiemo on sixty one, three off the pace but we were ever so closely followed by Jancsika, ozzyjune and blackrockrose who were all on sixty… The HOSTESS dressed in SHORTS was by far the most popular of all the HOSTESSES…

Next came yelnats on fifty three who was four in front of Scouser1952 (on forty nine) who was in turn two ahead of vizal (on forty seven)…

Meanwhile, 2dognight found both seed words and thought better of continuing whilst ozzyjack and Roddles found one before doing likewise… Maudland joined doxydaisy on the list of those MIA…

Eighty five words or more will garner you your mavenhood with rogue_mother*, dragonman*, yours truly, auntiemo and ozzyjune all having the wherewithal to do so… Nice job!!! 😎😎😎 As per usual, the asterisks signify double dignity… 🎉🎉🎉

Should anyone else wish to be included in these daily updates, please simply reply to that effect in the forum…
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 04:48:48 PM by ridethetalk »